Malaysia My Second Home Programme (MM2H)
Information about the Malaysia My Second Home residency programme (MM2H), who can apply and the benefits to expect...
The MM2H Programme is a residency scheme, which allows foreigners to stay in Malaysia for a long period of time, usually up to ten years. There are certain criteria which must be fulfilled in order for foreigners to qualify, such as medical and financial requirements.
Applicants under 50 years old:
- Must have proof of liquid assets worth a minimum of RM 500,000 and an offshore income of RM 10,000 per month
- Must open a fixed deposit account of RM 3,000,000. Half of this can be withdrawn after a period of one year for approved expenses such as buying a home, education, and medical care in Malaysia. Applicants who buy a property worth at least one million ringgit may qualify for a lower fixed deposit of RM 150,000, providing all conditions have been met
- Must maintain a minimum bank balance of RM 150,000 during their stay in Malaysia under the MM2H programme
Applicants who aged 50 and above:
- Must have a fixed deposit account of RM 150,000. RM 50,000 can be withdrawn after a period of one year to pay for approved expenses such as medical care, education, and buying a home in Malaysia. Approved applicants who buy a property for at least one million ringgit may qualify for a fixed deposit of RM 100,000, providing all conditions have been met
- Must have a minimum bank balance of RM 100,000 during their stay in Malaysia under the MM2H programme
- Must have proof of a government-approved pension fund of RM 10,000 a month
All applicants are required to submit a medical report from a private hospital or clinic. In addition, all applicants and their dependents must have valid medical insurance for Malaysia. Exceptions may apply for those who are unable to get insurance due to age or medical conditions.
MM2H applicants must submit bank statements for the previous three months showing deposits of monthly income (from salary, rental, interest earned, shares and so on) or government-approved pensions.
Completed applications received before that date are not subject to this requirement.
- Read more about the Malaysia My Second Home Programme
MM2H Programme benefits
Under the MM2H programme, applicants can:
- Travel to and from Malaysia unrestricted, with their families
- Have a renewable ten-year visa
- Bring money into Malaysia tax free
- Import a car or purchase a car tax free
- Invest in or own a business in Malaysia and/or buy property
- Work part time, if over 50 years old
- Bring all dependent children, including stepchildren under 21 years old, to Malaysia with them. However, the applicant must meet education costs