National Administration Offices in Malaysia

Information about the various offices related to administrative procedures in Malaysia...

Local government in Malaysia

There are currently four types of local governments in Malaysia.
  • City Councils / City Hall (Majlis Bandaraya)
  • Municipal Councils (Majlis Perbandaran)
  • District Councils (Majlis Daerah) for rural areas
  • Corporation, Development Board, Development Authority (Pihak Berkuasa) which are specially modified councils
It is the job of The Ministry of Housing and Local Government to oversee and standardises local governments practices.

National Identity Cards

In 2001, the Malaysian government became the first country in the world to start issuing a national identity card incorporating both photo identification and fingerprint biometric data on a computer chip embedded on a plastic card. All foreigners are required to carry proof of identity at all times.


An identity card for expatriates, known as an I-Pass, is issued free of charge by the Immigration Department of Malaysia to holders of an employment pass when they obtain their working visa. This replaces the former i-Card and will be extended to other pass holders in the future
  • Malaysian Immigration Department At: Kementerian Hal Ehwal Dalam Negeri, Bahagian Pas Penggajian, Tingkat 3 (Podium), Block 2G4 Precinct 2, Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan, 62550 Putrajaya Tel: 03 8880 1435 Fax: 03 8880 1374

Volunteers of Malaysian People (Ikatan Relawan Rakyat Malaysia)

Also known as RELA, the Volunteers of Malaysian People is a paramilitary paid civilian corps, part of the Police Volunteer Reserve, with up to one million members in Malaysia. Their main duty is to check the travel documents and immigration permits of foreigners in Malaysian cities, including tourists, visitors and migrants. RELA volunteers have authority to stop anyone in the street and to raid factories, restaurants and hotels. They are also authorised to detain people who have forgotten to carry their travel documents (such as passports and/or working permits) and to conduct interrogations. There have been repeated calls for the abolition of RELA.

Registration of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Adoptions

Application for registration of births, death, marriages and adoptions should be made at the National Registration Department Malaysia within 14 days of the change of status.

Driving Licences

To drive legally in Malaysia, anyone staying for more than three months must obtain a valid Malaysian driving licence. Licences are issued by the local Road Transport Department (Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan Malaysia - JPJ) of the Ministry of Transport. Holders of Malaysian driving licences should obtain an international driving permit before driving in any other country, including countries neighbouring Malaysia. Application for an international driving permit can be made to the JPJ or through the Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM).