Electricity, Gas and Water

Find out how to get connected to electricity, gas and water supplies in Malta...

Malta has no natural gas distribution network. Electricity and bottled gas are supplied by Enemalta. Water and sewerage services are supplied by the Water Services Corporation (WSC).

All utility accounts in Malta are handled by Automated Revenue Management Services (ARMS), a company jointly owned by Enemalta and WSC.

  • ARMS Customer Service, Tel: 8007 2222

Getting Connected

Applications for a new electricity or water supply can be done by filling in the appropriate form, which is available online (PDF). The completed form should be sent by post to the following address:

  • ARMS Ltd, P.O. Box 63
    Marsa MRS1000

Alternatively it can be taken to one of the two ARMS customer service centres.

  • Gattard House
    National Road, Blata l-Bajda, Malta
  • ARMS Offices
    Triq ta’ Wara s-Sur, Victoria, Gozo

Both offices are open Monday to Friday from 08:00-13:30 in winter and until 12:00 in summer.

Estimated utility bills are normally issued every two months, but customers can request a bill at any time, check their billing history or pay a bill on the ARMS website.

Water and electricity charges appear on a single bill, which can be paid by direct debit, by credit or debit card, by cheque sent through the post, or at WSC customer service offices, Maltapost branches, Bank of Valletta or HSBC ATMs, or Mtarfa, Gudja, Birgu or Ghaxaq local council offices.Water and electricity meters are read twice a year, except in households with smart meters.

Electricity Tariffs

Rates for electricity and water consumption vary depending on the number of people living in a property. It is important to keep ARMS informed of the number of residents so that bills can be properly calculated. The appropriate form (Form H) is available online.

In addition, there are two tariffs for utilities. The 'domestic' electricity tariff is considerably higher than the 'residential' one. Residents in Malta are eligible for the lower and more beneficial 'residential' tariff if the utilities are changed into their name when leasing a property. Ensure that when signing the tenancy agreement contract, the method of paying the utility bills is stipulated.

The owner of the property is not obliged by law to switch the utilities to the name of the tenant and the switch can only be made with agreement from both parties. A deposit is payable (refundable when switching back) in order to change to the residential rate.

Guarantee deposit

A deposit must be paid when getting utilities connected. This only applies to tenants renting a property and is paid once, with either the electricity or water application.

Moving House

If moving house within Malta or Gozo, the tenant or owner should fill in a transfer form. The completed form should be submitted, with appropriate documents (proof of identity and copy of a signed deed of sale or lease agreement), either by post to ARMS Ltd, P.O. Box 63, Marsa MRS1000, or at one of the agency's two customer service centres.

The documents can also be scanned and sent by email.

Service Not In Use

If a property is unoccupied for a long period, owners can apply for a declaration of 'Service Not In Use'. This will mean that meters will be read once a year instead of every few months and that estimated bills are not sent every two months.