Leaving Malta and Moving On

Find out how to close bank accounts, end contracts for utilities and insurance, export cars, move pets and notify residency officials when leaving Malta…

When leaving Malta, a number of administrative tasks need to be undertaken in order to ensure a smooth departure.

Residence Permits

The authority in charge of issuing, cancelling or extending resident permits (e-Residence cards) and ID cards in Malta is the Identity Management Office.

Contact the Identity Management Office about the process of cancelling the e-Residence card.

  • At Gattard House, National Road, Blata l-Bajda, Malta
  • At: 28A, St Francis Square, Rabat, Gozo
  • Tel: 2122 6627 / 8


Families with a child attending school in Malta should inform the establishment that the child will be leaving the school permanently. This should be done well in advance so that any necessary formalities can be completed. The school can provide documents that may be required in the new destination school.

Tax and Social Security

Before leaving Malta permanently, inform the Department of Social Security. EU citizens moving to another EU country may be able to transfer any benefits accrued on the island.

Further information can be obtained in person at the following address:

  • Social Security Department
    At: 38 Ordinance Street, Valletta VLT 1021

It is also advisable when leaving Malta to contact the Inland Revenue Service for information about any formalities that need to be completed. Income earned on the islands, for example from property rentals, may still be taxable, while any business interests that are being liquidated as part of the move from the islands must also be dealt with.

The Inland Revenue call centre can be reached by telephone or email.

  • Tel: 2296 2296 or Freephone 8007 2297

Terminating a Rental Contract

The termination period of a rental contract can vary depending on the clauses in the agreement between the landlord and the tenant. The usual notice period is at least one month. The landlord should refund the deposit to the tenant at the end of the notice period, but the tenant must pay all the bills due.


All utility accounts in Malta are handled by Automated Revenue Management Services (ARMS), a company jointly owned by Enemalta and WSC.

  • ARMS Customer Service, Tel: 8007 2222

To terminate (disconnect) the water and electricity supply, fill in the relevant forms, which are available online:

These forms must then be submitted together with all requested documentation, either as scanned copies by email, or by post to the following address:

  • ARMS Ltd, P.O. Box 63, Marsa MRS1000

Alternatively the forms can be submitted in person to one of the ARMS customer contact centres:

  • Gattard House
    National Road, Blata l-Bajda, Malta
  • ARMS Offices
    Triq ta’ Wara s-Sur, Victoria, Gozo

Before the services can be terminated, all outstanding bills must be paid in full.

Telephone, TV and Internet Services

Cancellation of cable TV, telephone and Internet services must be made in writing, according to the terms and conditions of individual agreements. Notices of termination must be handed in to service providers a minimum of 30 days prior to cancellation date, and must be accompanied by a copy of valid identification.

Any outstanding bills must be paid.

Bank Accounts

To close a bank account in Malta, go to the branch where the account was opened, with identification documents. To transfer the money to another account, order a bank transfer to the new account.

Cancelling Insurance

To cancel a home, car or any other insurance policy, contact the insurance company concerned.

Exporting a Vehicle

Vehicles registered in Malta may leave the country with the Maltese licence plates. Contact the local Embassy or Consulate for information on registration procedures and local regulations in the destination country.

Anyone who wishes to export their vehicle should fill in form VEH06 confirming the date the vehicle will be taken out of the country.

Exporting Pets

Depending on the destination, some animals may require a period of quarantine. They will almost certainly require documentation and possibly additional vaccinations.

Most domestic pets require documentation before they can travel. The EU Pet Passport covers dogs, cats and ferrets for movement in Europe and the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) allows qualifying domestic pets to travel to and from the UK without a period of quarantine.

Be aware that sudden outbreaks of diseases (such as avian flu) can affect pet travel. As a general rule animals have to travel in approved containers and by approved routes.