Malta Administration Offices

Contact information for the national and local administrative centres of Malta, including where to go for residency papers, vehicle registration papers, driving licences and more...

Malta is subdivided into 68 local councils. Local councils in Malta serve to give individual residents a say in local community life and organisation. Each council administers a specific locality; there are 14 local councils on the island of Gozo and 54 in Malta.

Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs Department

The department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs issues e-Residence cards to EU, Swiss and non-EU nationals who have the right to reside in Malta. This card is required by all non-Maltese Nationals living in Malta.

It is advisable to go in person to the office of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs for any issues relating issuing to the issuance of e-Residence cards.

  • Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs Department
    At: Evans Building, St. Elmo Place, Valletta VLT 2000
    : 2590 4000 / 2590 4800
    : 2590 1830

    1 October to 15 June: Monday to Friday 08:00-12:00 and 13:15-14:30; 16 June to 30 September: Monday to Friday 08:00-12:00

Employment and Training Corporation (ETC)

All non-EU citizens must apply for an employment licence. EEA, Swiss and EU nationals do not need an employment licence to work in Malta. These licences are issued by the ETC. A licence can only be applied for once an individual has obtained employment. Companies employing third country nationals must apply for the work permit on the employees’ behalf.

Transport Malta

Transport Malta is responsible for issuing relevant documentation for air, land and sea transportation. All drivers in Malta must have a valid driver’s licence to drive in Malta. The minimum age to drive a car is 18. Holders of an EU, Australian or Swiss driving licence who have obtained normal residency in Malta and have been in Malta for more than six months may exchange their foreign licence for a Maltese one.

Cars need to be tested periodically to ensure they meet safety and emission regulations (Vehicle Roadworthiness Test – VRT).

All cars driven on the road must be insured and registered. To register, renew the vehicle’s registration or transfer ownership, contact The Land Transport Directorate:

Road licences can also be renewed online, and the due date for the next VRT can also be checked.

Social Security

The Department of Social Security provides services to Maltese citizens, spouses of Maltese citizens, EU and Swiss Nationals and ordinary residents. Assistance is given to those most in need in terms of housing, healthcare and social benefits.

Social benefits include children’s allowance, maternity leave and benefits, foster care allowances, sickness benefits/medical assistance, injury benefits and pensions.

Registry Offices

In order to get married in Malta, the couple must make an official request through the Marriage Registry.

Births, deaths, marriages and civil unions are all registered and processed at the Public Registry.

  • Public Registry
    : Evans Building, St. Elmo Place, Valletta VLT 2000
    2220 9212 / 2220 9213 / 2220 9214 / 2220 9215

    : Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 07:30-14:00; Wednesday 07:30-18:00; Saturday 07:30-11:00