Overseas Voting: Canada

Information about casting a ballot in elections in Canada - who is eligible, how to register and vote...

Canadians living and working outside of Canada may apply to be added to the International Register of Electors if they:

  • are aged 18 or older
  • have resided in Canada at any time

A past rule stating that a Canadian overseas could only vote if they had been away for less than five years no longer applies. It is now possible to vote from outside Canada as long as the voter is a citizen and has lived in Canada at some point in their lives.

A mail-in special ballot voting kit is sent to all eligible electors in the International Register when an election is called.

Completed Applications for Registration and Special Ballot forms and supporting documents can be returned by fax, post or courier.

  • By fax:
    613-998-8393 or 1-800-363-4796 (toll-free in Canada and the United States)
  • By courier:
    Elections Canada
    30 Victoria Street
    Gatineau QC K1A 0M6
  • By post:
    Elections Canada
    PO Box 9830 Stn T
    Ottawa, ON K1G 5W7