Organizations for People with Disabilities
Information about the main organizations for people with disabilities as well as a useful glossary of Spanish/English terms related to disabilities...
The national organization that provides information and support for people with disabilities is CONADIS (Consejo Nacional para el Desarollo y la Incusión de las Personas con Discapacidad). Website in Spanish.
While CONADIS is the official governmental department set up to provide for people with disabilities, there are many more organizations which provide information and support (most websites are in Spanish only):
- APAC (Asociación Pro Personas con Parálisis Cerebral): Organization with a focus on cerebral palsy.
Tel: (55) 9172 4621
- CONFE (Confederación Mexicana de Organizaciones en favor de la Persona con Discapacidad Intelectual): National network of over 160 organizations for people with intellectual disabilities and their families.It aims to ensure that people with intellectual disabilities have a better quality of life and are fully integrated into society.
Tel: (55) 5292 1390
- Discapacitados Visuales I.A.P.: Organization working with people with visual impairments.
Tel: (55) 5519 4512
- Kadima (Asociación Civil Judeo Mexicana para Personas con Necesidades Especiales y/o Discapacidad): Organization working to promote rights and provide opportunities for people with disabilities in Mexico. The five main areas of focus are education, work, community, social and family environments.
Tel: (55) 5295 1235
- Libre Acceso A.C.: Organization with a focus on accessibility and the rights of people with disabilities, with the aim of removing all barriers whether physical, social, or cultural.
Tel: (55) 5425 8590
- CONAPRED (Consejo Nacional para Prevenir la Discriminación): National council for the prevention of discrimination.
- Teletón Funcación: Collects donations and provides funding for children with disabilities.
Glossary of Useful Terms
In an attempt to help change the national perception of people with disabilities, CONADIS has supplied a glossary of terms with the aim to inform the public and government officials, and as a means of improving dialog.
|Alumno con necesidades educativas especiales||Special needs student|
|Ayudas técnicas||Disability aid, such as a hearing-aid|
|Discapacidad física||Physical disability|
|Discapacidad intelectual||Intellectual disability|
|Discapacidad mental||Mental disability|
|Discapacidad sensorial||Sensory disability|
|Discapacidad auditiva||Hearing impairment|
|Discapacidad visual||Visual impairment|
|Educación Especial||Special needs education|
|Entorno físico accesible||Accessible environment|
|Igualdad de Oportunidades||Equal opportunities|
|Lengua de señas||Sign language|
|Lengua de Señas Mexicana (LSM)||Mexican Sign Language|
|Sistema de escritura Braille||Braille system|
- Find a full glossary of terms (PDF in Spanish)