Marriage Procedure and Required Documents

Find out about the documents required when getting married in Mexico...

Before getting married, the couple must apply for a marriage license at the Civil Registry Office (Oficina de Registro Civil) where the ceremony is to take place. Once the license is issued there is a minimum waiting period of three days in most states before the marriage can take place; however, it is advisable to apply for the marriage license approximately one month before the wedding date to ensure that all documents are in order.

Marriage document requirements vary from one state to another, so it is important to check with the Civil Registry Office in the state that the wedding is to take place. In most cases, foreigners who get married in Mexico require the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Copy of birth certificate, translated into Spanish and notarised by the Mexican consulate of the person's home country
  • Tourist visa, if applicable (Tarjetas de turista - FMT). A list of countries and the relevant documents required are available from the National Institute of Migration
  • Foreigners marrying a Mexican citizen must gain authorisation from the National Institute of Migration (Instituto Nacional de Migración de la Secretaría de Gobernación)
  • In the case of a marriage between a couple with children, birth certificates of the children must be provided

Two adult witnesses must be present for each person at the marriage, with copies and originals of their identification documents.

In addition, if one of the couple has been previously married, a copy of the divorce or death certificate must be supplied, translated and notarised. In some states, in the case of a divorce, marriage is only permitted after 12 months have passed.

Once the marriage has taken place, the Civil Registry Office issues the marriage certificate.


Minors under the age of 18 must have permission from both parents or their legal guardian to get married. If the parents or the legal guardian cannot attend the ceremony, power of attorney (Poder Notarial) must be given to someone else for the marriage to be authorized on the day.

Useful Contacts

  • The Civil Registry Office in the State of Mexico gives detailed information about getting married (in Spanish)