Facilities for Senior Citizens in Mexico City

<span style="line-height: 1.42857;">Everything you need to know for spending your golden years in Mexico: with information on health matters, retirement homes, social activities, and more…</span>

Mexicans have a different attitude towards ageing than Canadians, Americans and some Europeans, with elder generations often living with and being cared for by their families. However, the demographics of the country are changing and the Mexican population is living longer. As a result, the requirement for facilities for the ageing, such as healthcare, in-home help and retirement homes is likely to rise, and supply is expected to increase to meet the demand. 

What is a 'senior citizen'?

The Mexican National Institute for the Elderly (Instituto Nacional para las Personas Adultas Mayores - INAPAM) considers people over 60 to be senior citizens. Other government initiatives such as the Monthly Food Allowance program (Pensión Alimentaria) require a person to be at least 68 to qualify for their services. Mexican airline companies such as Aeromexico and Interjet have discounts for those aged 65 and over. 

Common terms in Mexico when referring to senior citizens are anciano, adulto mayor or de la tercera edad

Visas and permits

Obtaining a permit to live in Mexico as a retiree should be relatively straightforward for a person that can prove a financial income for him or herself and any dependents (e.g. spouse or children). The visa process must be started at a Mexican Consulate outside of Mexico. The temporary residency can then be obtained from an INM office after entering Mexico with an entrance visa issued by the Consulate. 

Local Consulates can provide information on the requirements needed for a visa. 


Many retirees will partly rely on their state pensions from their home countries to live in Mexico, and their Pensions Authority have more information on how to receive pension payments abroad.

The National Commission of the Retirement Savings System (Comisión Nacional del Sistema de Ahorro para el Retiro – CONSAR) is the regulatory authority for the Mexican State Pension. Pensions can be held with the Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social (IMSS), the Instituto de Seguridad y Servicios Sociales de los Trabajadores del Estado (ISSSTE), or an Independent account, managed by a Retirement Funds Administrator (Administradora de Fondos para el Retiro - AFORE). 

Persons who have worked in Mexico should consult their employer to find out if they have been making contributions to a pension fund, from which they are entitled to claim.