Studying in Mexico

Information on studying in Mexico, study abroad programs and the visa requirements...

Foreign students planning to study in Mexico usually need to organize a visa through the Mexican consulate in their place of residence. The main requirements are:

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of acceptance from a chosen institution
  • Proof of financial self-sufficiency

Information on the requirements for student visas is available on the Instituto Nacional de Migración website (in Spanish).


Public universities in Mexico are of a high standard. Two of the most well-known and respected state further education institutes are the Universidad Autónomo de México (UNAM) and the Instituto Politécnico Nacional, both in Mexico City. The UNAM has programs for foreign students, at the Centro de Estudios para Extranjeros (CEPE). In Guadalajara, the Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara also has international programs.

A comprehensive list of universities in Mexico is available on the CONACULTA website.

The university year in Mexico generally starts in August and ends at the beginning of May.

Study Abroad Programs

There are many opportunities for foreign students to participate in overseas exchange programs with Mexican institutions. Some private schools have one year exchange programs, and many language schools have intensive summer camps to learn Spanish. Summer programs usually include accommodation with Mexican families and cultural visits, as well as Spanish language classes.

For older students there are possibilities to participate in volunteer programs. A popular option is Amigos de las Américas, which has volunteer opportunities in Mexico and Latin American countries.