Leaving Mexico

Find out how to close bank accounts, end contracts for utilities and insurance, export cars and move pets when leaving Mexico…

There are a number of tasks to be completed before departure when leaving Mexico permanently. This page provides a brief reminder of whom to contact and what to do.

Housing Issues

Rental contracts

Individual rental agreements vary so check the terms and conditions carefully. Most rental agreements are one-year contracts secured with the equivalent of one month’s deposit, and the financial guarantee provided by the aval or fiador.

Thirty days notice is required if either party does not intend to renew the contract. If the agreement is terminated before the end of the predefined time period, monetary penalties will be applied. These penalties are significant, and can be as high as a half-month´s rent for each month remaining in the contract. A “diplomatic clause” can be negotiated in the contract to reduce these penalties, but it is increasingly uncommon for owners to completely waive penalties. Tenants planning to leave early should be aware that their guarantor will be legally required to pay the penalties if a tenant leaves the country without doing so.

The tenant is also responsible for any damage to the apartment or house, as well as any furnishings that came with the property. The security deposit will be retained to cover any damage or items missing from the property. 

Landlords have up to 30 days to return the damage deposit, and this should be accounted for in a departure schedule. Tenants can facilitate the process by ensuring that minor repairs and damage have been addressed.

Tenants should obtain a letter from the landlord specifying that there are no outstanding financial obligations.

Home insurance

Home insurance is not widespread in Mexico, and is not a legal requirement. If you have insured your home, it is advisable to contact the insurer directly for information about canceling the contract.

Mail forwarding

The Mexican postal service (Correos de Mexico), can redirect mail to a designated address within Mexico but it is not possible to transfer mail overseas. The best method for redirecting mail from Mexico to overseas is to ask friends, neighbors or family to help, and to be sure to contact service providers and others to change the address on file.


To cancel utility services, contact the company with as much notice as possible and arrange a date to terminate service. If staying in rental accommodation, utilities remain in the name of the landlord and tenants simply pay the bills when they come through the post or via an online payment method. Bills can be paid at small shops, post offices, banks, by direct debit, or online. It is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure no bills remain outstanding.

The Mexico state-owned electricity supplier is the Comisión Federal de Electricidad (CFE). To cancel a contract, contact them by telephone, Tel: 071 or at one of the CFE customer service centers.

  • Find a local CFE office (select the state, then municipality from the drop-down box)

Telephone and Internet

Contact the local office to disconnect landline telephone or Internet connections, giving as much notice as possible. The procedure for canceling a contract may vary from one provider to another. There may be a penalty associated with early termination of the contract – in some cases, it may be possible to transfer the service to the incoming tenant. 

The procedure for canceling a mobile phone contract will depend on the chosen payment option, as mobile phones charges are paid either with pre-paid cards or through monthly contracts. For pre-paid cards, when the amount of money on the card runs out, users can simply discontinue use of the SIM card or mobile phone. Monthly service contracts usually have a standard contract time of one or two years. Opt-out options do exist but depend on the provider and type of contract. Any equipment associated with the contract will need to be paid for in full.

Contact details for some of the main providers for landline and mobile phones, and Internet providers are given below (websites in Spanish):

  • Telmex
    : 01800 123 1114
  • Axtel
    Tel: 01800 515 1515
  • IZZI (formerly Cablevision. Mexico City only)
    Tel: 01800 120 5000
  • AT&T (formerly Iusacell)
    Tel: 01800 303 3333
  • Maxcom
    : 01800 629 2662
  • Movistar
    Tel: 01800 888 8366
  • Telcel
    Find Telcel contact numbers for individual Mexican states (select Estado in the drop-down box)
  • Unefon
    : 01800 333 0050

Cable and Satellite TV Contracts

The process for canceling cable and satellite service depends on the contract. For most contracts, the company requires 30 days' notice and may apply a penalty.  In some cases, service can be transferred to a new tenant. Service providers will discontinue the service and arrange an appointment to pick up any rented cable boxes or satellites dishes.


Parents should give the school notice as soon as possible, in order for relevant documents to be gathered, as it is likely they will be needed for the transfer to a new school.

In order to ensure a smooth transition, the following documents need to be forwarded to the new school:

  • A copy of the student's passport
  • The student's academic records
  • Any certificates and/or diplomas received
  • Any information regarding tests taken

Any identification cards, books and items belonging to the school must be returned and any outstanding fees paid.

Closing a Bank Account

Closing a Mexican bank account simply requires a signed photocopy of the account holder's passport and a bank form requesting termination of the account. All funds in the account minus any fees will be returned to the account holder or can be wired to the new bank.

Exporting a Car from Mexico

Vehicles registered in Mexico may leave the country with the Mexican license plates. Contact the local Embassy or Consulate for information on registration procedures and local regulations in the destination country.

Leaving the Country with a Pet

The governing organization in Mexico for pet import and exports is SENASICA (El Servicio Nacional de Sanidad, Inocuidad y Calidad Agroalimentaria).

Requirements for importing animals vary greatly between countries and it is necessary to fully understand and comply with these before departure and obtain necessary information from the authorities of the destination country. Some countries require a lengthy quarantine period.

Most airlines will require an additional payment for the pet(s) to travel in cargo as excess baggage. There are specific areas in cargo for pets. 

Some countries will require an import permit and most will request a veterinary health certificate. Many countries do not allow the import of cats and dogs directly from Mexico as it is not a rabies-free country. The requirements of some countries for importing pets can be found below: