The Green Card Insurance System

Understand how the international Green Card can still act as recognisable proof of third party car insurance in case of road accidents while abroad...

The Green Card or International Motor Insurance Certificate was equivalent to the national motor insurance certificates of all of the EU countries a motorist visits. It was an internationally recognised document accepted by the authorities of all countries in which the Green Card is valid.

The Green Card system is no longer in place in the EU but it still used by some non-union European countries. The Green Card was replaced by the European Motor Insurance Directives which states that a car registered in any EU country is presumed to be covered by basic third-party insurance. However many people still carry their green card as well as proof of supplementary insurance policies.

The European Motor Insurance Directive (EMID) is managed by the Council of Bureaux in London and Brussels.

Where to Get a Green Card

You can get your Green Card from the insurer who issued your motor insurance policy.

It is normally free of charge, but there may be a small administrative fee.

Participating Countries

Signatories to the EMID include member countries of the European Union plus Andorra, Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.

In Gibraltar, Monaco, Liechtenstein and San Marino, the same situation normally applies but it is advisable to check the cover carefully.

The national registration plates of the countries signify to the authorities of the country that your car is insured in respect only for third party liabilities for which insurance is compulsory. You are therefore urged to find out from your insurers:

  • What, if any, insurance documentation is necessary for the countries you intend to visit
  • The extent of the cover provided by your own motor insurance policies for the countries you intend to visit
  • The procedure to be followed in the event of an accident in a visited country

Other non-EU countries are party to the former Green Card arrangements (you will either need to have a Green Card or purchase insurance at the border).

Currently these are:

  • Belarus, Albania, Moldova, Morocco, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Tunisia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey, Iran, Ukraine, Israel, Serbia,Montenegro (Kosovo, while regarded as a part of Serbia, is in effect under the control of the United Nations. Green Cards are not available for Kosovo and border car insurance must be purchased).

Having signed an Agreement called the Uniform Agreement, Italy participates in the Green Card System with all foreign Bureaux members, with the exception of Turkey.

Accidents Abroad

If you are involved in an accident abroad, immediately contact your insurer or your insurer's representative in the country concerned.

If the accident was caused by an uninsured or unidentifiable car, you are entitled under Community law to compensation from the motor vehicle guarantee fund of the Member State in which the accident occurred. This is in accordance with the rules in force in that Member State.

New rules have been introduced to ensure that motorists get rapid compensation for accidents regardless of where they are in the EU. This has made procedures easier and settling claims quicker, with fines being charged on late payments. This applies not only to accidents that happen in the EU but also to accidents between two EU parties in a country outside the EU but which belongs to the Green Card System.

Further Information