Vehicle Insurance in the Netherlands

Details on insuring a vehicle (options from third party to all risks) and making a claim, what the cover provides and how to insure a foreign car in the Netherlands...

It is obligatory for all cars in the Netherlands to have at least third party liability auto insurance (wettelijke aansprakelijkheid, usually shortened to WA). Other motor insurance: fire, theft, vandalism is optional.

Insurance companies follow a system of no claims bonus, which means that those with fewer claims pay less than those who have made more claims. Foreign cars may be insured with Dutch insurers/banks if they are registered or in the process of being registered in the Netherlands.

In the event of an accident each person involved must fill in a claim report and send it to their respective insurance company. The form available is the same for each insurance company and it is advised to keep a form in the vehicle at all times. The insurance documents must be carried in the car.

Insuring a Vehicle

In the Netherlands, the weight of a car will be taken into account when the premium is calculated. Discounts for "no claims" apply, although proof of this will be required in the form of a previous insurance document. Unlike in some other EU states, a person must be a resident of the Netherlands to purchase auto insurance.

Drivers are free to choose their own insurer.

In the Netherlands it is mandatory to insure vehicles at least for third party liability. The owner of the car insures the vehicle and is held responsible, irrespective of the driver. There are three options for insuring a vehicle in the Netherlands.

  1. Third party/liability (Wettelijke Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering/WA): obligatory insurance covering damage to third parties.
  2. Restricted comprehensive cover (WA + mini casco): covers damages such as fire, explosions, lightning, theft, storm and broken windscreens.
  3. Comprehensive cover (Casco/Volledig casco): contains restricted comprehensive cover and claims on damage by collision and damage caused by violence.

Needed by insurer

  • The car's licence plate number
  • A registered address
  • Bank details for direct debit
  • Any relevant customs paperwork, should the car come from outside the EU

What the insurer should provide

  • Policy
  • European accident statement form
  • Green card

How to make a claim

Contact the broker's claim call centre or submit a claim online. When calling it is important to have the policy number to hand as well as details of the event (damage or accident and contact details of any other drivers and cars involved). Submit the completed claim form; in the Netherlands there is no time deadline.