Marriage License

Find out how to get a marriage license in the Philippines...

In order to get a marriage license in the Philippines, the following steps must be completed:

  1. Obtain an application form from the Local Registry Office (Form 90).
  2. Complete the application form. The groom should fill in the left-hand portion of the form while the bride should fill in the right-hand portion.
  3. Attach all the necessary documents (see below) and submit to the Municipal or City Hall.
  4. Obtain a claim slip. It is important that the bride and groom attend the required seminars. A certificate of attendance at these seminars is required to claim the marriage license.

There is a wait of ten days before the marriage license is released. The license is then valid for use within 120 days or four months.

The couple must both provide the following documents and submit them to the Municipal or City Hall:

  • Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage, or Affidavit of Marital Status
  • Photocopy of passport
  • Birth certificate (one certified copy and two photocopies)
  • Community tax certificates (cedula) of both applicants.
  • If either or both of the bride and groom are between the ages of 18 and 21, parental consent; for those between the ages of 22 and 25, Parental Advice.
  • Certificate of No Record of Marriage (CENOMAR) – this is proof that one has not been previously married. This is issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and must be obtained by both parties. This can be obtained from the NSO, or apply online; contact NSO Helpline Plus on +632 737 1111, or email the office for assistance if required.
  • Certificate of Attendance at a pre-marriage counseling, family planning and responsible parenthood seminar. For church weddings, the bride and groom must secure an appointment with the church or the parish where the bride or groom resides. For civil weddings, the Department of Social and Welfare Development conducts the counseling. DSWD offices are located in major cities in the Philippines. The family planning and responsible parenthood seminar is held at the Health Department of the Municipal or City Hall.
  • Residence certificate (Cedula) issued by the Municipal or City Hall (one original and two photocopies).
  • Barangay Clearance (one original and one photocopy). This document issued by the local town/council hall confirms that the person is a legitimate resident of the barangay (municipality)
  • At least two valid forms of ID.
  • Recent passport-sized photograph (color or black and white).
  • Marriage license application form (issued by the Local Registry Office).
  • Letter of Intent to Marry. Prepare a letter to the Mayor’s office expressing the engaged couple’s intent to marry. This letter should include the names of the engaged couples, signatures and suggested wedding dates.