Student Visas

Find out about the requirements to obtain a visa to study in the Philippines...

Foreign nationals who intend to take up a course of study at a further education institution must apply for a Student Visa. The foreign national must be at least 18 years old. The applicant must have sufficient means of support for their education.

The first step is to apply at the chosen school of higher education. The school then sends an application package to the Commission on Higher Education for approval. If approved, the Department of Foreign Affairs informs the relevant Embassy that the student visa can be issued. Only when this process has been completed may foreign students apply for a Student Visa at the Philippines consulate in their home country.

A non-immigrant visa can also be converted to a student visa from within the Philippines. Comprehensive information on the application procedure is available on the Bureau of Immigration website.

Applications for visa extensions may be made for the purpose of continuing study in the Philippines.

Special Student Permit

Foreign nationals who are taking a short non-degree courses in the Philippines should apply for a Special Student Permit (SSP). The first step is to apply for a Temporary Visitor’s Visa, then once in the Philippines, the student can apply for a Special Student Permit at the Bureau of Immigration.

There are schools in the country which accept foreign applicants; international schools are also available and are located in the bigger cities.

For more information, contact the Commission on Higher Education.

  • Commission on Higher Education
    At: Higher Education Development Centre (HEDC) Building, C.P. Garcia Avenue, UP Campus, Diliman, Quezon City 1101
    Open: 08:00-17:00