Electricity Supply in the Philippines

Find out how to get connected to electricity suppliers in the Philippines and in Metro Manila...

The main electricity supplier for residential properties in Metro Manila is the Manila Electric Company (Meralco). There are different retail electricity suppliers in the provinces; these are mostly Electric Cooperatives. A list of Electric Cooperatives can be obtained from the National Electrification Administration.

There is no mains gas supply in the Philippines.

Tenants are generally responsible for paying the electricity bills, although the bill may be still in the landlord’s name to avoid the reconnection and/or disconnection fees. This depends on the agreement between the landlord and the tenant, however, and exact details should be checked when signing a lease agreement. The cost of electricity is one of the highest in Asia, and can add significantly to the cost of living in general.

Electricity Supply in Metro Manila

To apply for a new electricity service in Metro Manila, an application form must be completed. It can be downloaded from the Meralco website, or can be obtained from a Meralco Business Center.

Submit the following documents together with the completed form to a Meralco Business Center.

  1. Original and photocopy of one valid form of ID with picture and signature
  2. Original and photocopy of proof of ownership or occupancy (for example, Transfer Certificate of Title, Notarized Deed of Sale or Lease Contract, etc.)
  3. Signed copy of a waiver (this is for the new electric meter). It can be obtained from the Business Center, or may be signed at the same time as submission of requirements).

A Service Application Number is sent to the applicant. This is a reference number which can be used to follow up on the application if necessary.

A Bill Deposit must be paid, which is the equivalent to one month’s bill. Payment must be made at the Business Centre, where the applicant is asked to sign the contract.

Comprehensive information about the steps involved when applying for a new service can be found on the Meralco website.

Transferring or cancelling the electricity supply

The tenant/owner must request the cancellation or transfer of electrical services formally in writing, indicating the intention to have the contract of service terminated and that meter and service deposits be refunded. Proof of identity (eg. passport, driver’s license) is necessary to ensure that the request is authentic. If the tenant/owner is unable to present a valid ID, a Meralco representative visits the home to verify.

Upon receipt of the request and proof of identity, the service is disconnected by a Meralco field operative. This may include the removal of Meralco facilities installed.

The contract is terminated and a final bill is generated, which must be paid at a Meralco Business Center.


Electricity bills are sent out once a month.

Payments can be made through the following:

  • Meralco Business Centers
  • Accredited Payment Centers
  • Over the counter at banks
  • Internet banking
  • Phone banking
  • Mobile banking
  • Automated Teller Machines (ATMs)
  • Direct Debit