National Parks and Eco-tourism
Find out about the national parks and natural parks in the Philippines...
The Philippines is a country with diverse terrain, tropical rainforests, 23 active volcanoes, a longer coastline than the USA and a rich biodiversity. There are 35 national parks, and 25 natural parks aimed at conserving some of the Philippines' natural beauty. National parks are regulated by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (Kagawaran ng Kapaligiran at Likas Yaman)
Interest in eco-tourism has risen exponentially in the last ten years with visitor numbers to the Philippines' national parks rising year on year. Although they have trails for hiking, trekking and climbing, national parks in the Philippines still lag behind other countries when it comes to rangers, trail markings, maintenance and the information provided for visitors.
Commercial companies offer mountain climbing and hiking tours for both beginners and experienced climbers.
National Parks of the Philippines
- Aurora Memorial National Park is located in the Sierra Madre mountain range. It is designated as a eco-tourism resort and contains rainforests and wildlife
- Balbalasang-Balbalan National Park is a protected area located on Mount Balbalasang in the municipality of Balaban. It contains pine forests and diverse flora and fauna
- Bangan Hill located in Bayombong in Nuevo Vizcaya is a national park and cultural site
- Bataan National Park is located in the mountainous interior of Bataan in Luzon and is home to rainforests, rivers, waterfalls and wildlife
- Biak-na-Bato National Park is located in Biak-na-Bato in San Miguel, Bulacan. It has ecological caves, rivers and trails
- Caramoan National Park in Bicol is home to caves, limestone formations, wildlife, sandy beaches and rocky terrain
- Cassamata Hill National Park is located in the Abra area of the Philippines. It offers spectacular views from the summit and recreational facilities
- Fuyot Springs National Park is located in the Isabela area of Luzon and offers caves, trails, rock formations and wildlife
- Hundred Islands National Park is located in the province of Pangasinan in Luzon and comprises 124 small islands across 17 square kilometres of sea in the Lingayen Gulf
- Libmanan Caves National Park is located in the Bicol region and is centred around the 2,856 metre-long Colapnitan cave. It, and the other surrounding caves are home to thousands of bats
- Minalungao National Park is located in central Luzon and is characterized by the high limestone walls of the Peñaranda River which runs through the Sierra Madre mountain range.
- Mount Arayat is the national park on and around the extinct volcano in the Arayat area of Luzon
- Mounts Iglit–Baco National Park can be found on the island of Mindoro (near Luzon). It takes in Mount Iglit and Mount Baco plus their surrounding areas
- Northern Luzon Heroes Hill National Park is located on the north west coast of Luzon in Ilocos Sur and is notable for its mountain scenery
- Pagsanjan Gorge National Park is the site of one of the most famous waterfalls in the Philippines and is located in the province of Laguna in the south of Luzon
- Mount Pulag National Park surrounds the Philippines' third highest peak. It is known for its flora, fauna wildlife and climbing.
- Paoay Lake (known as Lago de Nanguyudan) is located in the Ilocos Norte area of Luzon. It is surrounded by hills and scenery with leisure facilities and a golf course
- Quezon Memorial Circle is a large shrine erected in the former capital of the country. It houses the remains of and pays homage to the memory of former president Manuel L. Quezon
- Rizal Park is also known as Luneta National Park and is a historic urban park in Manila
- Roosevelt National Park is a protected landscape in central Luzon situated at the foot of Mount Santa Rita and Mount Malasimbo near to Olongapo. It is characterised by woods and grasslands
- Mount Data National Park is located to the north of Luzon. The mountain and surrounding areas are known for pine forests and rich bio-diversity
- Find out more about National parks in Luzon, Philippines
- Bulabog Putian National Park on the island of Panay in Iliolo is a protected area of rainforest and limestone mountain
- Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Spring National Park is located in the mountainous Mantalongon area of Cebu. It is famous for its rivers, hot springs, caves and religious monuments
- Kuapnit Balinsasayao National Park is located on the island of Eastern Visayas and comprises mountains and rainforests
- MacArthur Landing Memorial National Park (also known as Leyte Landing Memorial Park) is a historic area commemorating the landing of US liberation forces in 1944
- Find out more about national parks in the Visayas
- Lake Butig National Park is located in Lanao del Sur in Mindanao at the foot of the Butig Mountain range. The park includes Lake Butig and its surrounding forests
- Lake Dapao National Park is located in Lanao del Sur in Mindanao and is characterised by the lake, mountains and surrounding forests
- Mado Hot Spring National Park is located in the Maguindanao area of Mindanao and is famous for its medicinal hot spring
- Mount Dajo National Park located in Sulu is the area on and surrounding the extinct volcano Bud Dajo
- Naujan Lake National Park is home to the large freshwater lake located on the island of Mindoro
- Pantuwaraya Lake National Park is situated in Saguiaran, Lanao del Sur in the north of the Mindanao region
- Rungkunan National Park covers mountainous areas near to Marawi in Mindanao
- Sacred Mountain National Park is centered around the extinct volcano of Mount Mupo near to Marawi in Mindanao
- Salikata National Park is situated in the densely forested areas of the Mount Ragang range in Mindanao. It encompasses the gorge, cliffs and waterfalls of the Gata River
- Find out more about national parks in Mindanao
- Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park is located to the north of Puerto Princesa in the province of Palawan. It comprises a large subterranean river with waterfalls and rock structures. It is home to various species of bats
In addition to the national parks there are many areas of natural beauty, which includes the Apo reef, a coral reef system in the Mindoro Strait and the Tubbataha Reef, a protected area of coral located in the middle of the Sulu Sea.