Public Transport

Find out about the public transport options in the Philippines...

There are many forms of public transport in the country and specifically in Manila, which is by far the busiest and most populated city in the Philippines. Residents and visitors can choose between buses, taxi cabs, Jeepneys, MRL/LRT (Metro Rail Transit/Light Rail Transit) and tricycles.


Metered taxis can be found in large towns and cities across the country, and in comparison to some countries, taxis in the Philippines are very cheap. They are painted white with the taxi ID number on the side. The ID can also be found on the inside of the passenger doors.

Yellow cabs service Metro Manila airport; there is also a prepaid coupon service.

The meter should always be switched on – if this is not the case, request that it is switched on. If you need a receipt, check before the taxi starts that the driver is able to deliver a receipt, as this may not always be possible.

Taxi apps are becoming more and more popular in the Philippines; for example Uber, Grab taxi and Hailo.

Motorcycle taxis are converted motorcycles with extended seats. These habal-habal or skylabs are a popular form of taxi transport in the Visayas and in northern Mindanao.

Multicabs are a form of taxi for short local journeys and are popular for traveling between villages. They take the form of brightly painted minivans, and fares are approximately the same as those for tricycles.


Tricycles can be found in many towns and cities across the country. They are essentially motorcycles customized to carry passengers, and offer very cheap fares. Tricycles are popular for short journeys. Some towns also have non-motorized pedicabs called padyaks.

Car Hire

For those not wanting to get around using public transport it is easy to hire a car, and most well-known international rental companies are represented at major airports and in big towns.

In order to hire a car in the Philippines it is necessary be at least 21 and to provide:

  • Driving license held for at least two years
  • Valid passport
  • An International Driving Permit. This may be required, especially to accompany licenses not in English