Living With Teenagers in Portugal
Find out about the out-of-school activities available to young people and teens. Also information on youth employment, teenagers and drugs, alcohol, pregnancy and driving...
The Portuguese Ministry for Youth and Sport (Secretaria de Estado da Juventude e do Desporto) takes an active role in enabling the following:
- encouraging the formation of youth and student associations
- stimulating the creation of Municipal Youth Councils (Conselhos Municipais de Juventude)
- encouraging young people to travel throughout Portugal and Europe, for study, work or leisure, support youth entrepreneurship
- fighting against job insecurity in young people.
The website (in Portuguese) has much useful information about schemes and organisations for young people in Portugal.
- Ministry for Youth and Sport
At: Avenida da Liberdade 194, 1260-051 Lisbon
- Youth Line (Linha da Juventude) Tel: 707 203 030
Open Monday to Friday from 09:00-24:00, open weekends and public holidays 09:00-24:00 for Youth Hostel reservations only
The Ministry finances the following youth organisations that are open to all young people in Portugal:
- Portuguese Youth Institute (Instituto Português da Juventude - IPJ): organises holiday and work camps, leisure time activities, runs programmes for voluntary work and for creative young people
- Movijovem: responsible for the Youth discount card (Cartão Jovem) and the Youth Hostels (Pousadas e Albergues de Juventude) in Portugal
- The FDTI, Federation for the Promotion of Information Technologies (Fundação para a Divulgação das Tecnologias de Informação): runs IT courses for young people