Travel and Parking for People with Disabilities
Information on travelling options for people with disabilities in Portugal. Find out how to use 'blue badge' disability parking permits...
All public transport vehicles have specially reserved seats for disabled people, but few have wheelchair spaces. Carriers of a CP (Caminhos do Ferro Portuguesas) Disability Card (Cartão de Deficiente) are entitled to a 25 percent discount on long distance (Alfa Pendular), Intercity (Intercidades) and Regional (Regional) services with state railway operator CP. Forms to apply for a CP card for the disabled are available from CP ticket offices and are valid for 2 years. The applicant will need to supply two passport-sized colour photos.
Only parts of the Metro network in Lisbon are accessible to disabled people with mobility problems. There are no stated reductions for disabled customers using the Lisbon Metro. There are however lifts at main stations from the platforms to ground level (60) and 10 moving conveyer belts, while 234 payment machines are adapted for customers with disabilities and visual impairment.
People with visual disabilities can travel with their guide dogs if these are on a leash and muzzled.
All Portuguese airports have specially adapted toilets and wheelchairs and can provide special assistance, by prior arrangement.
Driving and the Disabled
Disabled drivers are exempt from paying VAT (IVA) on the purchase of a vehicle up to a tax amount of €6,487,37. The disabled driver will need to fill out:
- Modelo S1234 (Veículos Automóveis – Pedido de Isenção Deficientes) available from the customs authorities (Direcção-Geral de Alfândegas).
- Declaration of Incapacity (Declaração de Incapacidade) from the Regional Health Authority (Junta Medica da Administração Regional de Saúde)
- Tax declaration proving income for the past three years (Declaração de Quitação) and Declaração de IRS (Income Tax) from the local tax office in the disabled candidate’s residential area
- Photocopies and original of Passport (Passaporte) and Identity Card (Bilhete de Identidade), Tax Number (Cartão Contribuinte), driving license (Carta de Condução)
- Vehicle bill of purchase (factura) from garage or manufacturer
- Driving Authority (IMTT) approved certificate for any alterations or adaptations on the vehicle for the disabled driver.
Disabled person's parking card
The blue badge is a standardised European Community disabled person's parking permit which provides parking entitlements to blue badge holders in all complying European countries. A blue badge from one country is valid in another. A person coming to Portugal from another EU country may find it easier to apply in their home country for this universal badge which allows the use of reserved parking.
- Disabled spaces in car parks reserved for disabled people are marked with a wheelchair symbol. Do not park if the space is marked with a
vehicle registration number
- Some car parks allow vehicles displaying a disabled parking sign to park free of charge
- There are no concessions for disabled drivers on roadside parking
Driver's with a Blue Badge from another European country can display this Portuguese translation beside the badge (from the UK AA (Automobile Association)
Cartão de estacionamento para pessoas com deficiência.
Este cartão autoriza o portador a
beneficiar das facilidades de
estacionamento no Estado
membro no qual o titular se encontre.
Quando em utilização,
o cartão deve ser colocado no interior
do veículo, no seu vidro
dianteiro, por forma a que fique visível.
Information for the disabled and application forms for the Disabled Person’s Card (Cartão de Deficiente) are available from Municipal Councils (Câmara Municipal). The following documents will need to be presented:
- Medical certificate (Atestado Médico)
- Residency card or proof of residency (Cartão de Residência)
- Passport or identity card (Passaporte/Bilhete de Identidade)
- Driving license (Carta de Condução)
- Two passport-sized photographs