Teenagers and Leisure Time
Find out about the leisure schemes and discount cards available to young adults in Portugal...
The IPJ supports a number of schemes for teenagers, from holiday camps to voluntary work.
To find out more about any of these schemes, or to register:
- See the IPJ website (in Portuguese)
- Tel: 707 203 030
International Work Camps (Campos de Trabalho Internacionais): An international exchange programme for 18 to 30 year-olds. The camps take place between June and September and last for two weeks each. Participants work on varied projects, ranging from archaeology and the environment to community service and heritage preservation.
Holidays with ICT (Férias com as TIC): An initiative of the FDTI, targeting 8 to 14 year-olds during summer and Christmas school holidays. These are a fun introduction to information and communication technologies.
Holidays with Ecology and Multimedia (Férias com Ecologia e Multimédia): Aimed at 8 to 14 year-olds, the programme covers environmental protection and participants learn how to create a website relating to the environment. The scheme runs from mid-July to mid-September.
Holidays in Movement Holiday Camps (Programas Férias em Movimento): Residential and day camps with varied activities organised throughout the Easter and summer holidays.
- Day Camps: 8 to 14 years, minimum 5 days, maximum 15 days
- Residential Camps: 15 to 18 years, minimum 6 nights, maximum 14 nights
OTL Programme (Programa Ocupação de Tempos Livres): A summer holiday programme aimed at developing useful community projects. All 12 to 25 year-olds who are resident in Portugal and are enrolled in full time education or training may participate.
Youth Hostels (Pousadas de Juventude)
There is an extensive network of youth hostels throughout Portugal, offering basic accommodation at a very good rate.
To use a hostel, a Hosteller's Card (Cartão do Alberguista) is needed. This can be obtained at the following places:
- Any of the youth hostels
- Movijovem offices
- The Lojas Ponto Já shops in the regional offices of the IPJ
The card gives access to the International Network of Youth Hostels worldwide (5,000 in total).
Through the Movijovem initiative there are a number of cards available to Portuguese youth, offering discounts on travel, sports, cinema and other services.
Both of the cards below come in two versions: the Classic (Clássica) offers discounts only, while the Banking (Multibanco) card provides discounts plus banking and travel insurance services.
Youth Card<26 (Cartão Jovem<26)
Open to people from the ages of 12 to 25, the card offers discounts, exclusive services and exemption from certain fees in the following areas:
- Mobility: discounts on transport (trains, coaches, flights, car rental) and accommodation (youth hostels)
- Culture and Communication: discounts in theatres, museums, cinemas, bookshops, etc.
- Sport: discounts and specially priced tickets for sporting fixtures (football, basketball and handball games, amongst others)
This card is aimed at young people of Portuguese descent who are visiting Portugal. Applicants will have to show that they were born in Portugal or are descendants of Portuguese nationals.
- European Youth Portal website from the EU for young people living or considering moving to Europe
- Secretary of State for Youth and Sport