Gas in Portugal

Find out how to get connected to a gas supply in Portugal...

The gas market in Portugal is currently a regulated monopoly and consumers have the choice of only one provider – Galp Energia. The rental agency or real estate agent can provide local contacts.

Emergency Numbers:

  • Gas leak (Fuga de Gás) - Tel: 800 201 722
  • Gas Emergency Helpline - Tel: 808 241 107

Gas is widely used for heating, water heating and cooking appliances in Portugal, however, gas or oil central heating is rare and expensive to install but may be found in newer houses and apartments.

Gas is available in the following forms:

  • Mains gas (Gás Domicilio)
  • Bottled gas (Botijas/Garrafas)
  • Outdoors gas tanks (mainly in rural areas) (Contentores de Gás)

Mains gas

Mains gas is generally available in towns and cities throughout the country. Mains gas is used for appliances and heating and all installations have to be approved by Galp Energia. Gas water heaters should be serviced and de-scaled regularly.

On moving in, a new tenant or property owner should contact Galp Energia to have a contract drawn up.

  • Alternatively it can be arranged at the same time as the electricity contract is drawn up at a Loja do Cidadão.

An appointment will be made to have the meter read and the gas turned on by a Gas Technician (Técnico Credenciado do Gás).

The supplier will need the following:

  • Registration number of the meter
  • Name of previous tenant/owner if possible
  • Name and account details of new tenant/owner
  • Passport and/or Identity Card (Passaporte/Bilhete de Identidade)
  • Residency Card or Proof of Residency (Cartão de Residência/Comprovativo de Residência)

Mains gas is charged by the mega calorie (MCAL) up to 200m3 and invoiced monthly. Payments can be made by ATM Multibanco, direct debit or at the post office.

Bottled gas

Bottled gas (Botijas de Gás or Gás em garrafa) is most commonly butane gas (although propane is available). It can be bought in small quantities (usually 10, 15 or 20 kilograms) in bottles and is usually kept in the kitchen under the sink. Bottled gas is also often used in calor gas-type heaters in the winter in houses without central heating, but may also be used to heat water.

Typically a deposit, in addition to the price of gas, will be paid to the local supplier (supermarket, petrol station) for the first bottle bought. The empty bottle can then be exchanged when paying for a full one. Some gas suppliers do deliveries.

Gas tank

Tank gas (Contentor de Gás) is more common in rural areas. Gas is stored in a large tank outside the house (usually 1,000 litres of liquid gas) and is used for hot water and heating.

Generally, the tank is installed by the gas company and remains their property. They charge for supplying the gas. A tenant/owner will need to sign a supply contract with the gas company and will be charged for a fixed minimum usage per year.

The property insurer must be informed if the property is using a gas tank (charges may be slightly higher).