Furniture, Hardware, Grocery and Appliance Shopping in Qatar
Chain stores that supply the basic furniture, home furnishings and accessories, white goods and electrical appliances (fridges, stoves, kettles, washing machines and tumble dryers, dishwashers, TVs and computers) for your home...
Below is a guide to where to shop in Qatar for food and most everyday essentials. Shops are often open for long hours, with some stores open until midnight, although hours are often substantially reduced during Ramadan. There are many shopping malls in Qatar; they are often built around a flagship supermarket or hypermarket, but are also home to small boutiques, restaurants and pharmacies. Traditional souqs, or markets, offer a varied shopping experience and are a great place to buy local goods and specialities.
There are a few major supermarket and hypermarket chains in Qatar. As well as standard groceries they stock other goods such as electrical appliances, clothing, health and beauty products, furniture, tools and gardening equipment.
- Carrefour has three hypermarkets in the Doha area, stocking a wide range of home and garden products, clothing and furniture as well as groceries. They stock their own brand of products and have regular promotions. The stores are open between 08:00 and midnight, with reduced hours on Fridays
- Lulu Hypermarket is a chain with four hypermarkets and supermarkets in Qatar. Their own brand products offer good value and there are regular promotions in the stores
- Family Food Centre has three large stores in Qatar, with additional facilities such as opticians and ATMs within their stores
- Dasman runs a chain of convenience stores and hypermarkets in Qatar. The hypermarkets have a dedicated home section stocking everything for the home, including furnishings, kitchens, bathrooms and accessories
- Mega Mart is a supermarket which stocks a wide range of imported foreign foods. It stocks many products that are hard to find elsewhere
As well as the many malls, there are a number of stand alone department stores in Qatar. They stock a wide range of goods including clothing and shoes, jewellery, cosmetics, electrical goods and products for the home.
- Blue Salon is a department store in Doha. It specialises in fashion, jewellery, luggage, home decor and cosmetics. It stocks many top labels and brands
- 51 East is a luxury department store in Qatar. It stocks clothing, jewellery, electrical goods and home wares from many top brands
- Salam, The Gate and The Mall are department stores selling many top brand names in clothing, shoes, luggage, jewellery, household items and gifts. The stores have valet parking and offers customers a welcome drink when they arrive
Furniture can be bought at many of the hypermarkets listed above, but there are also some dedicated stores in Qatar. Traditional furnishings can be bought in the many souqs.
- Home Centre has three stores in the Doha area. They stock furniture for throughout the home as well as cookware and kitchen equipment
- Homes R Us has a store in Doha at the Hyatt Plaza; they also have stores across the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain. The store sells a full range of furniture and accessories for the living room, dining room, bedroom, children's bedrooms and kitchen
- Midas Furniture operates a store in Doha selling a comprehensive range of home and office furniture
Electronic and Appliance Stores
Many hypermarkets and department stores sell a good range of electrical appliances as do many of the souqs. They sell both familiar global brands as well as local brand names. There are also some dedicated electronics and appliance stores.
- Jumbo sells home appliances, telephones, air conditioning units, computers and televisions as well as office products and power tools. They have a number of stores in Qatar stocking products from a large range of brand names
- Almana & Partners has a store in Doha selling domestic appliances, computers and electronic goods
DIY and Hardware Stores
A good range of DIY and hardware products can be found in some of the large hypermarkets in Qatar and power tools are sold by some electrical retailers. The souqs also offer a range of tools and hardware products. Souq Waqif, a large souq in Doha, is particularly good for hardware.
- Nabina Hardware in Doha has a good range of hardware and tools including building materials, mirrors and lighting
Office Supplies and Stationery
Hypermarkets sell a comprehensive range of stationery products. There are many local stationery shops in Qatar, these are often referred to as a 'library'.
- The Almana & Partners store in Doha specialises in office design and furnishing. It has a team of designers who can help with the entire process of setting up an office, from the installation of computer networks to the supply of fax machines, computers, copiers and printers
- Amco offer a good range of office supplies in Qatar, including printers and computer accessories