Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Qatar
Information on the services and assistance available, including the replacement of lost or stolen passports, for expats from the UK, USA, India and Australia from their embassies and consulates in Qatar…
Most countries have an Embassy or Consular Offices to deal with matters affecting their own nationals living in or visiting other countries.
Citizens of the United States of America, United Kingdom, South Africa and India living in Qatar are particularly well-catered for by the consular sections of their Embassies and other organisations. Information about services for nationals from these countries is provided below.
- British Embassy
At: West Bay, off Wahda St near Rainbow roundabout, Doha
Tel: 4496 2000
Fax: 4496 2086
Open: Sunday to Wednesday 08:00-15:30 Thursday 08:00-13:30
The British Embassy in Qatar provides a number of services to British citizens in Qatar, including:
- Advice about living in Qatar
- Travel advice
- Advice about how to find a local lawyer, interpreter or doctor
- Advice regarding registering births, deaths and marriages
- Information about scams and how to stay safe while abroad
The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.
UK passports are not issued by the UK Embassy in Qatar. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK at the following address:
- Her Majesty's Passport Office
101 Old Hall Street
- To find out how to apply for a UK passport while overseas: Overseas passport application process
The US Embassy is based in Doha and provides a number of services to its citizens living in Qatar.
- Embassy of the United States
At: 22nd February Street, Al Luqta District, Doha
Tel: 4488 4101 / 4496 6000 for 24-hour emergency assistance
Citizen services Tel: 4496 6089 (from 13:30-15:30)
24 Hour Emergency Assistance, Tel: 4496 6000 to reach the Duty Officer
Fax: 4488 4298
It is necessary to make an appointment for non-emergency consular services. Appointments can be made on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Passport Collection is on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 13.00 and 15.00.
The US Citizen Section in the US Embassy provides information about a number of matters including:
- What to do in the event of a death, arrest, incarceration, or other emergency
- Passport renewals and replacements, for more information: Passports
- Reporting a birth, death or marriage of a US citizen
- Notary and other routine services
- Information about how to register with the Embassy
- Embassy of India
At: Villa No 19,Villa No 86 & 90, Street No. 941, Al Eithra Street, Zone 63, Onaiza, P.O. Box 2788, Doha
Tel: 4425 5777
Open: Sunday to Thursday from 09:00-17:30, except during public holidays email
The Indian Embassy advises that all Indian citizens living in Qatar register with the Embassy. This can be done by completing and submitting a registration form available online or from the Embassy.
The Indian Embassy in Qatar provides a number of consular services to its citizens living in Qatar including:
- Passport services including renewals and getting a new passport
- Information about living and working in Qatar
- Information for students about studying in Qatar
- Information about what to do in the case of a death of an Indian citizen in Qatar
- Assistance and information regarding labour disputes
- Information about getting visas to work in Qatar
- Organisation of cultural activities through the Indian Cultural Centre (ICC)
The Australian Embassy in Abu Dhabi has representatives that visit Doha regularly to provide passport and consular services to Australian citizens in Qatar.
For further information:
- Australian Embassy in Abu Dhabi
Tel: +971 2 401 7500
South African Citizens
The South African Embassy provides a number of consular services to its citizens living in Qatar and information about its country.
- Embassy of South African Embassy
At: Villa 11, Saha 100, West Bay, Doha
Tel: 00974 444 857 111
Fax: 00974 448 359 61
- Open: Sunday to Thursday 07:30-16:00, except during public holidays Consular hours: Sunday to Thursday 09:00-12:00