Family Residence Visa

Information on obtaining a family residence visa and who may apply for one...

Immediate family members (spouse or children) of those who have a Work Residence Permit and who earn more than QR 10,000 a month, can apply for a Family Residence Visa. Male children must be below the age of 25. There is no age restriction for daughters, provided they are unmarried.

The cost of the visa for the spouse and children may or may not be covered by the employer.

Note: Although the official salary required by the sponsor is nominally set at QR10,000 per month, it should be noted that this is not fixed. The Qatari Ministry of the Interior confirmed that approval of an application also depends on the type of employment the sponsor is in as well as other, unspecified, factors.

The following documents are required:

  • Completed application form
  • Passports and copies for the sponsoring person and all applicants
  • Copies of Work Residence Permit of the main sponsoring person
  • Copy of the employment contract specifying the wage of the main sponsoring person
  • No-objection certificate from the employer
  • Copies of the marriage certificate or birth certificate of the applicant (whichever is relevant), and education certificates. Certificates must be attested by both the country of issue’s foreign office plus the Qatar embassy
  • Proof of address (such as a utility bill) of the principal family member

As with the Work Residence Permit, the sponsoring employer of the principal family member takes care of the administrative procedures in many cases. These are similar to the procedures listed in the Work Residence Permit section.

All family members must undergo the medical test and have fingerprint records taken.

Family members can enter Qatar on an Entry Visa. The application procedure can take up to six weeks to complete. Family Residence Visas must be renewed prior to expiry. Temporary family visas are also available. Spouses (usually wives) on family sponsorship are not officially allowed to work unless they receive permission from the Ministry of Interior’s Labour Department who may issue a work permit.

The Hukoomi website visa section and the MOI website have details of all the latest visa regulations, and information on how to apply for them. It is also possible to track the status of an application online via the MOI visa inquiry services.