Registering the Birth in Russia

Information on how to apply for a birth certificate of a new child and how to register nationality...

After the birth, a birth certificate should be obtained from any branch of the civil registry office, ZAGS (Zapis Aktov Grazhdanskogo Sostoyaniya / ?????????? ?????? ????? ???????????? ?????????).

It is advisable to call the relevant ZAGS office before going to check opening times and the documents required to register the birth, although these are usually as follows:

  • Birth certificate from the hospital
  • Marriage certificate copy, translated and notarised, if applicable
  • Passport copies of the parents with registered visas, translated and notarised, if applicable
  • At least one parent must go to the office in person (with a translator if no Russian is spoken). There is a fee to register a birth and this must be paid in cash

Registering for Citizenship

After the birth certificate has been issued, the embassy of the home country should be contacted to apply for citizenship and a passport for the child.

For details of the processes involved for the various nationalities, see the links below:

Other Useful Websites

  • – Search for schools and kindergartens by area and specialisation (in Russian)
  • – Information and articles for women living overseas, including a section for mothers
  • – Website for women with sections on pregnancy and babies, and a forum??  – Parenting website with forums, reviews and tips
  • – Information on all aspects of preparing for a new baby in Russia (in Russian)