National Administration Offices in Russia

Information about the various offices related to administrative procedures in Russia, including where to go for immigration issues, driving licences and more…

Some of the main organisations that residents in Russia need to deal with can be found below. National organisations have departments in every city or state, details of which can be found on the central websites.


The Federal Migration Service (Federalnaya Migracionnaya Sluzba / ??????????? ???????????? ??????), or FMS, is responsible for regulating immigration and handling the applications of foreign nationals to live and work in Russia (website in Russian).

Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages

Registering births, deaths and marriages should be carried out at the local Civil Registry Office (ZAGS - Zapis Aktov Grazhdanskogo Sostoyaniya / ?????????? ?????? ????? ???????????? ?????????).

  • For links to local Civil Registry Offices: Click here (in Russian)

Social Security

All residents are given a social security number that allows them to enjoy social security benefits including retirement pension, disability pension, survivor’s pension, unemployment relief, child allowance and other benefits.

Access to free municipal medical services require a resident to have a mandatory health insurance policy. For working residents this is paid by the employer, while self-employed or unemployed individuals must make their own health insurance payments.

  • Pension Fund of Russian Federation (Pensionnyi Fond
    • Executive Board of the PFR, International Cooperation Department
      At: ul. D?nskaya 4, Moscow
      Tel: (495) 986 4167
    • Department for Pension Security of Individuals Residing Abroad
      At: ul. Godovicova 9, Moscow
      Tel: (495) 987 8030
  • Social Security Fund (Fond Sotsial’nogo Strakhovaniya) (in Russian)
    • At: Orlikov pereulok 3a, Moscow
      Metro: Krasnye Vorota
      Tel: (495) 668 0333
  • Federal Fund for Mandatory Medical Insurance (Federal’nyi Fond Obyazatel’nogo Meditsinskogo Strakhovaniya) (in Russian)
    • At: Novoslobodskaya Ulitsa 37, Moscow
      Tel: (499) 973 4910 (regarding written inquiries) / (499) 973 3186 (regarding visits) / (495) 987 0380, ext. 1252, 1042, 1045, 1048 (regarding obtaining medical insurance policy)

Driving Licences

Driving licences can be applied for at GIBDD, the State Road Traffic Safety Inspectorate (Mezrayony Otdel Gasudarstvenovo Tehnicheskovo Osmotra Registracy e Exzaminaciony Raboty / ??????????? ????? ???????????????? ???????????? ??????? ??????????? ? ??????????????? ??????).

Postal Services

The national postal service is run by Russian Post (Pochta Rassii / ????? ??????).

Other Government Departments

  • The Russian government has an English website with news and information on its departments: Click here
  • Russian Electronic Government State Services portal (Portal gosudarstvennyj uslug Rossiyskoy Federacy / ?????? ??????????????? ????? ?????????? ?????????). The portal provides information on some government and state departments and some of the services they provide
    • The English site has information on issuing or extending of residence permits with the Federal Migration Service.
    • The Russian site offers other public services such as paying traffic fines, checking tax debt and applying for or replacing a driver's licence.
      Tel: 800 100 7010
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerstvo Inostrannykh Del)
    • Reception
      : Denezhnyi pereulok 19, Moscow
      Metro: Smolenskaya station
      Tel: (499) 244 2283
      Open: Monday to Thursday 10:00-12:00, 15:00-17:00, Friday 10:00-12:00, 15:00-16:30
    • Information office
      At: Smolenskaya-Sennaya ploschad’ 32/34, Moscow
      Tel: (499) 244 1606
    • Consulate service department
      Tel: (499) 244 4581