Marriage Requirements in Singapore

Find out about the legal requirements for getting married in Singapore...

If both parties are foreigners, at least one party (not both) must have resided in Singapore for 15 continuous days before filing a notice of marriage. Example: a person entering Singapore on 1 August will have to stay there continuously from 2 to 16 August, and the earliest date to file a notice of marriage is 17 August.

If one person is a Singaporean or Permanent Resident and the spouse-to-be is a foreigner holding a work permit or an ex-work permit holder, check with the Controller of Work Permits, Ministry of Manpower (MOM) that the marriage is permissible.

  • Ministry of Manpower (MOM)
    : 18 Havelock Road, #07-01, MOM Building, Singapore 059764
    Tel: 6534 1511

For application forms or information on eligibility to stay in Singapore after marriage, check with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

If the spouse-to-be is neither a work permit holder nor an ex-work permit holder, doesn't hold an employment pass and is not a permanent resident or citizen, and is in Singapore on a tourist visa, they can apply for a dependant's pass at the ICA, after the marriage has taken place.

S Pass holders need not seek marriage approval from MOM. However, the employer of the S Pass holder needs to update MOM on the marital status of their employee. The employer must inform MOM in writing (on company letterhead paper) and enclose a copy of the marriage certificate:

  • Ministry of Manpower, The Work Pass Division
    At:18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764

Further Information

Find reputable Weddings & MarriageBridal BoutiquesChurches, Religion & Spirituality & Family, Marriage & Divorce Lawyers through our local business listings.

Picture courtesy of Singapore Tourism Board