Applying for Singapore Permanent Residency (SPR)

Information on how to make the application for Permanent Residency (SPR) in Singapore, the documentation required, Re-Entry Permits, family applications and eligibility...

The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) handles all applications for Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR or PR) in Singapore.

  • For the Permanent Resident services section of the ICA website: Click here

Non-Singaporeans may become Singapore Permanent Residents (SPRs) by obtaining an Entry Permit.

SPR status is not the same as Singapore Citizen (SC) status. SPRs qualify for assistance with medical coverage, tax breaks and education contributions, and are entitled to buy property and travel overseas.  However, SPRs contribute more than SPs to the costs of education and healthcare, cannot vote, and require a valid Re-Entry Permit (REP) if they wish to travel out of the country.

  • For more information from the difference between SPRs and SCs from Click here

Eligibility for SPR Status

The categories of people who can apply for Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR) are as follows:

  • Spouses of Singapore Citizens (SCs)
  • Unmarried children of an SC, if under 21 years of age
  • The "Aged Parents" of an SC
  • Holders of a P, Q or S Work Pass
  • Investors and entrepreneurs

Note: meeting these criteria does not automatically entitle a person to SPR status. The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) makes decisions on a case-by-case basis.

  • For full details of entitlement to SPR from the ICA:   Click here

To find information about SPR relevant to applicants from a certain country, see the SPR webpages of that country's Singaporean embassy.

  • For the Ministry of Foreign Affairs list of Singaporean embassies in other countries: Click here

Those who do not qualify for SPR on the basis of their relation to an SPR or SC may be able to apply on their own merits. If they cannot, they may be able to apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) or an LTVP+.

  • For more details of the LTVP from the Ministry of Manpower: Click here
  • For more details of the LTVP from the ICA: Click here

How to Apply

Details of both the applicant and the sponsor (an SC or SPR) will be required. Submit the completed application form personally to:

  • Permanent Resident Services Centre
    : 10 Kallang Road, Storey 5 ICA Building , Singapore 208718
    Open: 08:00-17:00 Monday to Friday, 08:00-13:00 Saturday
    Tel: 6391 6100
    Fax: 6298 0843 or 6298 0837

There is a small fee, and the processing time is three months.  Note than an appointment is required to submit the SPR application, and applicants cannot submit their paperwork without one.

  • To book an appointment to submit a residency application using the ICA's e-Appointment system: Click here

Applicants will have to submit either Form 4 or Form 4A (for P, Q or S Work Pass holders).

The documents required depend on the applicant's situation, and both originals and photocopies of each item must be submitted. They include travel documents, Work Passes, birth certificates, marriage certificates, letters from sponsors and income tax notices, amongst others. Exact details can be found on the links below:

  • For the ICA's application notes for "Aged Parents": PDF download found at the bottom of this page Click here 
  • For the ICA's application notes for spouses and children of SPs and SCRs: PDF download found at the bottom of this page Click here
  • For the ICA's application notes for Work Pass holders: PDF download found at the bottom of this page Click here

Re-Entry Permit for Singapore Permanent Residents

A Re-Entry Permit (REP) allows a Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) to return to the country after leaving it. Without a REP, SPRs who travel abroad will lose their SPR status. A REP typically lasts for five years, and must be renewed at least three months before its expiry date.

There are two methods of renewing a REP. The first, which is recommended by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), is to complete the e-REP process online using a SingPass login.  No documents need to be submitted in person to the ICA, and the REP can be printed from a home computer. However, it can only be printed once.

  • To renew a REP using the e-REP system on the ICA website: Click here

The second method of renewing a REP is in person at the Permanent Residence Service Centre. Applicants will need to complete Form 6 (PDF), and must bring their Blue Identity Card, travel document and most recent REP. Other documents may also be required.

  • For detailed ICA information on the renewal of a REP, either in person or via e-REP: PDF download found at the bottom of this page Click here

It is also possible to renew a REP while abroad.  This must be done via the Singaporean Embassy or Consulate in the SPR's home country.

Entrepreneurs and Investors

The Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) runs a scheme to attract foreign investors and businesses to Singapore. Investors who have substantial capital investment in the country and entrepreneurs with a proven track record may apply for PR status under the Global Investor Programme (GIP).

Family of Applicants

If the government grants Permanent Residence, it may be extended to the spouse and children. For spouses this means they will be able to work without restrictions and will not need an Employment Pass.

Female children will not be affected by the change of status but male children will be eligible for National Service (NS).

  • For the Singapore Government's National Service Portal: Click here

If the children do not have permanent residency, provided they are schooling in Singapore, they can apply for a Student Pass. Otherwise visiting children or relatives come in and out of the country on a Short Term Visit Pass.

  • For more information from the ICA on Student Passes: Click here
  • For more information from the ICA on Visit Passes: Click here

Further Information