De-registering a Vehicle in Singapore
How to de-register a vehicle so that it can be scrapped or exported, with further details on how to find an authorised scrap yard or export a car...
Vehicles that are to be scrapped or exported must be de-registered. Apply to the Land Transport Authority (LTA).
Once de-registered, a vehicle cannot be re-registered in Singapore. It is an offence for anyone to keep or use a de-registered vehicle.
If a private vehicle is de-registered before it is 10 years old, its owner may apply for the Preferential Additional Registration Fee (PARF) rebate, which returns a portion of the Additional Registration Fee (ARF) to the driver upon de-registration. ARF, and therefore PARF, is a percentage of the vehicle's Open Market Value (OMV). The earlier the vehicle is de-registered, the higher the value of the PARF rebate: a car initially liable for an ARF of 130 percent of its OMV at registration, when de-registered within four years, will be eligible for PARF at 75 percent of its ARF.
- The PARF and COE amounts refunded on de-registration can be calculated on the LTA's OneMotoring website: Click here
- PARF and ARF scales can be found on the LTA's website: Click here
If a vehicle is de-registered before the Certificate of Entitlement (COE) expires, the registered owner may be given a rebate on the Quota Premium (QP), pro-rated to the number of months and days remaining on its COE. The rebates for vehicles registered under the "Open" Category will be based on the QP of the "Open" category or its corresponding category from the tender exercise, whichever is lower.
The PARF/COE rebates may be used to offset the ARF, Registration Fee (RF) and the cost of the COE when registering a new car. Any excess not used will lapse. The rebate must be used within 12 months of the vehicle being de-registered. Alternatively, the rebate to may be sold to someone else.
To de-register a vehicle
Get a Transaction PIN from the LTA office at 10 Sin Ming Drive, Singapore 575701. Alternatively, a validated SingPass user can apply for a Transaction PIN online.
- For more information: Click here
- For the LTA's Asset Owners eServices, including Transaction PIN requests: Click here
- For de-registration and rebate information: Click here
The vehicle must be scrapped or exported within five days of submitting the de-registration form.
To scrap a vehicle
The vehicle must be taken to an approved scrap yard within five days of the application, along with:
- the completed de-registration application form
- the vehicle's registered owner's passport (if foreign) or NRIC (if Permanent Resident (PR), Singaporean or Malaysian)
- authorisation letter from the owner if not taking the vehicle in person
- any outstanding balance of road tax to be paid
The LTA will then notify the last registered owner of the de-registration and details of any PARF/COE rebates.
To export a vehicle
A car owner may consider exporting a vehicle. If a car is under 10 years old, the COE and PARF rebates can render it worth exporting.
For vehicles de-registered within two years of their registration for the purpose of export, the rebate will be capped at 80 percent of the QP paid on registration. The PARF rebate date is computed from the date of its registration in Singapore.
Arrange for clearance customs and shipping must be arranged with the Singapore Customs.
Submit the vehicle de-registration form together with the necessary export documents:
- Cargo Clearance Permit endorsed by Singapore Customs or the Report on Export and Indemnity by the exporter/freight forwarder/shipper
- A copy of the Bill of Lading endorsed by a recognised shipping line/company, showing the vessel's sailing date and proof that the vehicle was on board
- Foreign re-registration document
- Any outstanding road tax
- The vehicle's registered owner's passport (if foreign) or NRIC (if Singaporean or Malaysian)
Original documents must be produced at the LTA counter when de-registration takes place.
- For a complete checklist of the documentation necessary to export a vehicle: Click here
- Hup Lee Leong Hardware Pte Ltd
At: 26 Sungei Kadut Street 3, Singapore 729153
Tel: 6363 5055 / 6367 0019
Hours: 08:30-17:30 Monday to Friday, 08:30-16:30 Saturday
- Kim Hock Corporation Pte Ltd
At: 10 Benoi Road, Singapore 629885
Tel: 6862 3883
Hours: 08:30-17:30 Monday to Friday
- Sky Metal Pte Ltd
At: 7 Gul Road, Singapore 629364
Tel: 6862 9109
Hours: 09:00-17:30 Monday to Friday, 09:00-12:30 Saturday
Picture courtesy of Greyson Rose