Vehicle Insurance in Singapore

Information on vehicle and driver insurance, what to do when you have a road traffic accident and how to make a claim from your insurer after a car crash...

Any motor vehicle on the road must have valid insurance. The minimum requirement is that the policy provides cover for personal injury to other parties.

Always carry the Certificate of Insurance in the vehicle. The police may ask to see it in a routine check and it contains useful information that will be needed in the event of an accident.

Insurance Rates and Values

It is important for motorists to insure their car for an amount that reflects its market value:

  • Insure a new car to its full purchase value
  • For used cars, the insurance value should take into consideration the residual Certificate of Entitlement (COE) and Open Market Value (OMV), plus a "market force" factor. This can be assessed from listings of similar cars for sale in most motoring publications such as the Highway magazine and newspapers
  • The Technical Staff from the Automobile Association of Singapore's (AAS) Car Evaluation team can advise on the estimated market value of the car.
    Tel: 6333 8811

The maximum liability of the insurer is based on the sum insured or actual market value of the car at the point of claim, whichever is lower. This is a standard condition of motor insurance contracts.

With most insurance companies it is a policy condition not to admit liability following an accident. Instead, submit a factual account of what happened using the insurer's Singapore Accident Statement (SAS) jointly with the other party involved. The SAS provides the insurer with the necessary background on the accident to determine liability.

In the event of an accident involving an insurance claim all motor insurance companies in Singapore use a guide called the Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) to determine the liability of each party.

Barometer of Liability (BOLA)

Insurers use the Barometer of Liability Agreement (BOLA) to determine how liable each party is

in an accident.

The BOLA is designed to speed up claims' processing. It does not diminish a person's right to contest liability under the law.

Under the BOLA, the claimant's NCD (No Claims Discount) will not be affected if their liability is 20 percent or less in an accident involving an identified vehicle. In all other cases, the NCD may be affected.

Injury Claims in the Event of a Motor Accident

Motorists or passengers who are injured or family of persons killed in a traffic accident can make a claim for medical expenses, loss of income, pain, and other costs.

A claim can be filed with a lawyer. The lawyer will need copies of the police report, along with any medical and specialist reports, a list of expenses incurred, such as transport, medical fees, rental of car,  and other supporting documents related to the traffic accident.

Further Information

The Singapore Police force has a section of its website devoted to Driving in Singapore.

  • The police force also has a list of the addresses and telephone numbers of Neighbourhood Police Centres and Neighbourhood Police Posts. Click here
  • For details of what to do in an accident: Click here
  • Find reputable information about Car Insurance companies  through our local business listings

Picture courtesy of Pictures of Money