Other Types of Employment Pass

More information about the different types of employment pass available to workers in Singapore, who is eligible and how to apply for them...

Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)

A PEP holder is entitled to stay in Singapore for up to six months inbetween jobs to allow the opportunity to find another placement. The Personalised Employment Pass is not tied to any employer, unlike the Employment Pass (EP) which is attached to a specific employer. With an EP, when the holder changes to another employer, a new application must be made or the worker has to leave Singapore.The PEP is valid for three years and is non-renewable; it will only be issued once to another foreigner.

A PEP holder retains the dependant privileges of the original EP type. The minimum annual fixed salary requirement of $144,000 is compulsory and will apply throughout the three-year duration.


Foreigners who are eligible for the PEP:

  • Overseas foreign professional whose last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000
  • P1 Pass holders who earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $12,000

How to apply

Applications to the MOM can be made online or in person:

Short-Term Employment Pass (STEP)

The Short-Term Employment Pass allows foreigners to work in Singapore on a specific project, up to a maximum time frame of one month only. The STEP is a one-time only, non-renewable permit.

How to apply

Applications to the MOM can be made online. The process is similar to an EP application although an additional letter from the local firm justifying the need for the application must be attached with the application. The letter must also confirm that no extension of the STEP permit will be sought.

EntrePass (Employment Pass for Entrepreneurs)

The EntrePass is an Employment Pass for foreign entrepreneurs who would like to start a business in Singapore.


Foreign entrepreneurs who intend to set up and be actively engaged in any businesses in Singapore may apply for an EntrePass. The business must be truly entrepreneurial in nature (this means that the nature of business is not a coffee shop, massage parlour, tuition service, among others...), and must not have been registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for more than six months.

Other requirements:

  • Company must be registered as a Private Limited Company with the ACRA - Singapore’s national regulator of businesses and public accountants
  • Applicant to hold at least 30 percent of shares in the company
  • Company to have at least $50,000 paid-up-capital. A bank statement, from the Singapore-based company bank account, of at least $50,000 is required for verification

How to apply

Initial applications must be accompanied by a comprehensive business plan (not more than ten pages). Subsequent renewals must show evidence of track record and trading and financial status. Apply to the MOM using SingPost (a MOM-appointed Collecting Agent) with the following documents:

  • Completed EntrePass application form, accompanied by a banker's guarantee of S$3,000 if there is no local sponsor
  • A copy of the applicant's past employment testimonials (translated into English)
  • A copy of the company's most recent Business Profile/Instant Information, if registered with ACRA
  • Recent passport-sized photograph
  • A copy of the applicant's travel document, showing personal details

There is an administrative fee for each application, and approval may take up to four weeks.

On approval

An In-Principle Approval Letter will be issued so that the entrepreneur may register the business with ACRA. Once this ACRA registration is completed, the applicant must send a copy of the Business Profile/Instant Information and Approval-in Principle letter to the Work Pass Division so that they may issue the EntrePass.

The initial Entrepass is valid for up to two years; subsequent renewals will be valid for up to three years.

If the nature of the business changes during the validity of the pass the entrepreneur must inform the Work Pass Division.

S Pass

S Passes can be applied for by any mid-level skilled workers, such as technicians, who wish to work in Singapore.


As with Employment Passes, applicants must fulfil certain criteria such as salary and qualifications but do not necessarily need to hold a degree. S Pass applicants will be assessed on a points system, taking into account multiple factors, including salary, education qualifications, skills, job type and work experience.

The number of S Pass holders a company may employ is capped at 20 percent of the company's PR / Singaporean total workforce.

Employers who have never applied for WPs or S Passes are required to submit an application for Industrial Classification, prior to submitting the WP/S Pass applications (which should be done online).

Further Information

Find reputable Jobs, Recruitment Agency & Headhunters & Business Consultants & Advisors through our local business

Information contributed by One Visa Pte Ltd 9 Temasek Boulevard, #09-01 Suntec Tower 2, Singapore 038989 www.one-visa.com email Tel: 6407 1579 / Fax: 6407 1501 Copyright © One Visa Pte Ltd All Rights Reserved.

Picture courtesy of Singapore Tourism Board