Work Holiday Pass
Details of eligibility, the process and paperwork needed to apply for a Work Holiday Pass (WHP)...
The Work Holiday Pass (WHP) allows foreign students from certain countries to work in Singapore for a maximum of six months. Participants may secure employment after arriving in Singapore, and there are no restrictions on the type of work or any minimum salary requirements.
To qualify, applicants must be students at a pre-approved university in one of the following countries:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- United States
- United Kingdom
- For further information from the MOM: Click here
Applicants need only have been admitted to a Singapore-recognised university in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States to apply. Students need not be citizens of one of these countries.
- For information on the approved universities, see the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM) website: Click here
Students who have gained admission to a pre-approved university but have not yet started their studies may also apply. These applicants must be between 17 and 30 years old.
Recipients of the Work Holiday Pass are not required to obtain a job in Singapore before applying for the pass.
The Application Process
Applicants must be able to financially support themselves during their stay in Singapore and will be asked to make a declaration confirming that they have sufficient funds to travel to and from Singapore and to pay for normal living costs while in the country.
Applicants must also be in good health, though a medical exam is not required. They must also have personal medical insurance coverage during their stay.
Applicants must have an email address to receive correspondence from the Ministry of Manpower.
How to apply for a Work Holiday Pass
The Work Holiday Pass application form can be only be downloaded and submitted via email. The documents required for application are:
- a letter from the pre-approved university or college as proof of student status. The letter should include the applicant's name, nationality, gender and date of birth
- a copy of a degree certificate or transcripts (for graduates only)
- a copy of the applicant's passport page showing name, date of birth, gender and photograph
- for the application form: Click here
For degree certificates, transcripts and letters not originally in English, a copy of the original as well as an official English translation certified by the educational institution must be included.
Attach scanned copies of the above documents when submitting the application form. These documents must be image files in JPEG format (.jpg).
Note: attached files of scanned degree certificates and transcript files should be no larger than 150KB and the passport page attachment should be no larger than 100KB. Ensure that images are clear before transmitting.
The Work Holiday Pass application will be processed in approximately 21 days. Applicants will be notified via email.
Once accepted, students must collect the pass within three months from the date of the In-Principle Approval Letter (IPA). Passes must be collected at the Work Pass Division of the Ministry of Manpower.
- Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower
At: 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764
Open: Monday to Friday 08:00 - 17:30, Saturday 08:00 - 13:00
Tel: 6438 5122
Fax: 6317 1344
The following documents must be presented when picking up the pass:
There is fee due on collection. An additional fee is due if a single or multiple journey visa is necessary (to travel outside of Singapore during the validity period of the Work Holiday Pass). Payment may be made using cash, NETS or a CashCard.
- For the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority website: Click here
Note: a visa may also be necessary to enter Singapore. Check with the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority for further information.
The Work Holiday Pass is valid for six months and is not renewable. Applicants must declare they will not overstay the pass and will depart the country before its expiration. To continue working in Singapore, a different work pass will be required.
- For a list of available work passes: Click here
Work Holiday Pass holders are not restricted to specific types of work. However, existing licensing, registration or accreditation requirements (such as for medical occupations) will apply. Since the pass is only for a short-term work arrangement, there is not a minimum salary requirement.
The Ministry of Manpower and the Singapore Economic Development Board created the Contact Singapore website to attract global talent and encourage economic growth. The website offers resources for finding a job in Singapore.
- For information from the Contact Singapore website on getting a job in Singapore: Click here
- Singapore Government Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Website
- One Visa: Singapore-based visa service agency specialising in Work Visas
- Find reputable Jobs, Recruitment Agency & Headhunters & Business Consultants & Advisors through our local business.