Legal Requirements for Foreigners Marrying in South Korea

Information on the legal requirements for marriages between two foreigners, and between Korean citizens and foreigners in South Korea…

The legal requirements and documents pertaining to foreigners who get married in South Korea depend on the nationality of those getting married.

Foreigners wishing to get married in South Korea should first contact their home embassy or consulate to find out which documents are required.

Following the legally binding civil marriage registration at the City Hall, foreigners can also arrange a further wedding ceremony in various venues: for example, a hotel, wedding hall, church or Buddhist temple. Note: This kind of ceremony is not legally binding in South Korea.

Foreigner marrying a citizen from South Korea

Marriage in South Korea (or elsewhere) between a foreigner and a Korean must follow the legal requirements for marriage of both the foreigner and the Korean citizen.

The spouse who is not Korean must have all marriage documents which are in a language that is not Korean, translated into Korean and notarised at a consulate.

A foreigner who wants to marry a South Korean citizen must produce the following documents:

  • Evidence of identity and nationality - both birth certificate and passport
  • Affidavit of Eligibility for Marriage - issued and notarised by the consulate of the home country

The following two documents are also required:

  • Evidence of current marital status - in the event of a previous marriage, a sealed certified copy of the final divorce decree is needed
  • Evidence of consent - required if either party is underage according to marriage law from their home country; Korean citizens who are less than 20 years old need consent from their parents to get married

South Korean citizen marrying a foreigner

A South Korean citizen marrying a foreigner should check which documents are required with the local City Hall/district office. However, the following documents are generally required:

  • Birth and Family Relations Certificate (Ka Jok Guan Gye Jeung Myung Seo)
  • South Korean Identity Card (Ju Min Deung Rok Jeung)

Same Sex Marriage

Same sex marriage is not recognised in South Korea.