Consular Guides for Foreign Residents in South Korea

Information on how citizens of the United Kingdom, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa can access consular services from their Embassy in South Korea...

UK Citizens

The British Embassy in South Korea is based in Seoul. There is also a British Honorary Consulate in Busan. Their role is to look after the interest of British nationals in South Korea, whether they are residents of the country, or visitors.

  • British Embassy in Seoul
    At: Sejong-daero 19-gil 24, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-120
    Tel: 02 3210 5500
    Open: Monday to Thursday: 09:00-12:30 and 13:30-17:15, Friday: 09:00-12:30 and 13:30-17:00
  • British Honorary Consulate Busan
    : 1707 Ocean Tower, Haewoondae, Busan 612-726
    Tel: 051 740 5787
    : Monday to Friday 09:00 to 18:00

The British Embassy in South Korea provides the following services:

  • Advice on legal issues
  • Advice on travelling safely within South Korea, including information on safety, local laws and customs
  • Advice on living in Korea, which includes getting a driving licence, assistance for victims of crime and advice on finding a local lawyer
  • Providing advice on retirement
  • Advice on legalising documents
  • General advice on the practicalities of daily life in South Korea; the mobile phone network, finding a doctor or dentist, bringing a pet to the country and getting involved with the local British community

The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.

British passports are not issued by the British Embassy in Seoul. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK for processing.

  • To find out how to apply for a UK passport while overseas: Click here

US Citizens

The United States Embassy in Seoul offers a variety of services to US citizens. There is also a US Presence Post in Busan; to make an appointment with this post, contact the main embassy in Seoul.

  • US Embassy in Seoul
    : Consular Section, 188 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu, Seoul 110-710
    : 02 397 4040 (non-emergency) / 02 397 4114 (emergency)

    : Monday to Friday, 08:45-11:15 and 13:00-15:00, except Wednesday afternoon

The following services are available via the Embassy:

  • Health information, including finding emergency care and information on English speaking doctors and dentists
  • Legal information and advice on legal problems
  • Travel information
  • Notary services
  • Advice on living in Korea, with information on schooling, voting and driving

The American Citizen Service (ACS) section of the Embassy offers a range of passport services to US citizens living in South Korea. Passport applications, which are sent to the United States for processing, can be submitted to them.

  • For more information on passport services: Click here

The Embassy provides detailed information on getting married in South Korea, reporting a birth and what to do following a death.

Visas for travel to the United States can also be arranged through the Embassy.

  • For more information on visa services: Click here

Australian Citizens

Australian citizens living or travelling in South Korea are advised to register with the Embassy. The Australian Embassy in South Korea is also accredited to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and Mongolia.

  • For more information on registering: Click here
  • Australian Embassy in Seoul
    At: 19th Fl, Kyobo Building, 1 Jongno 1-Ga, Jongno-Gu, Seoul
    Tel: 02 2003 0100
    Open: Monday to Friday, 09:00-12:30 and 13:30-16:30

The Embassy can help Australian citizens with the following:

  • Travel advice, both within South Korea and other countries
  • Passport applications, which can be submitted in person at the Seoul Embassy
  • Information on the local Australian community
  • Information on driving licences
  • Taxation and citizenship issues
  • Distance education options
  • Information on moving back to Australia
  • Information on voting from overseas

The embassy maintains a list of English speaking lawyers in South Korea. To see the list: Click here

For Australian citizens wishing to marry while living in South Korea, there is advice on marriage abroad.

New Zealand Citizens

The New Zealand Embassy provides a range of consular services for New Zealand citizens living or travelling in South Korea. There is also a New Zealand Consulate in Busan.

  • New Zealand Embassy in Seoul
    : Jeong Dong Building, Jeong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-784
    Tel: 02 3701 7700
    Open: Monday to Friday: 09:00-12:30 and 13:30-17:00

Services offered by the embassy include:

  • Travel advice
  • Issuing of emergency travel documents
  • Legal and notary services
  • Advice following the death of a New Zealand citizen in the Republic of Korea
  • Assistance with registering a marriage, birth or death
  • Overseas voting and examination facilities
  • Advice on daily life in South Korea, including banking, health services, accommodation and transport

The embassy provides specific advice for New Zealanders on marriage in the country and contact numbers for lawyers and government services.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens have access to consular services in South Korea both at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul and at the Canadian Honorary Consulate in Busan.

  • Canadian Embassy in Seoul
    At: 21, Jeongdong-gil, Jeong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul 100-120
    Tel: 02 3783 6000
    Open: Monday to Thursday, 08:00-11:45 and 12:45-16:30
  • Canadian Honorary Consulate in Busan
    : c/o Dongsung Chemical Co., Ltd., 472 Shin Pyung-dong, Saha-gu, Busan 604-721
    Tel: 051 204 5581
    Open: Monday to Friday: 08:30-11:30 and 13:00-16:30

Services offered by the embassy for Canadian citizens include:

  • Visa advice
  • Assistance in emergencies
  • Information on how to vote while abroad
  • Advice on returning to Canada
  • Citizenship services
  • Advice on working in South Korea

There is also specific information on registering a birth and getting married in South Korea.

Applications for a new Canadian passport can be submitted either in person to the Embassy in Seoul or the Canadian Consulate in Busan.

  • For more information on passport services: Click here

South African Citizens

  • South African Embassy in Seoul
    At: 1-37 Hannam-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 140-885 
    Tel: 02 792 4855
    Open: Monday to Thursday, 08:00-12.45 and 13:30-16:45; Friday 08:00-12.45 and 13.30-15:30

Consular services offered by the Embassy include:

  • Assistance in an emergency
  • Travel advice
  • Notary services and authentication of documents

New South African passports can be applied for at the Embassy.

The Embassy provides information on getting married, as well as registering a birth and dealing with a death.