Employment Insurance

Find out about the employment insurance scheme in South Korea and the Workers' Compensation Scheme...

Employment insurance is run by the Worker's Compensation and Welfare Service. It supports vocational training and guarantees an income while the insured is looking for another job.

Benefits and coverage apply to both employer and employee. Generally, it is the employer who does the application to employment insurance on behalf of their employees, and this must be done within 14 days of the first day of work. Anyone who is self-employed can apply for employment insurance as well.

There are, however, exceptions to employment insurance: for workers who are older than 65 and for those who work less than 15 hours per week (60 hours per month). Foreigners without a foreign registration card are not entitled to employment insurance.

To receive benefits, job seekers must register their CV with WorkNet (in Korean), which is an online employment agency run by the Employment Insurance Service, and they must apply for benefits at a Job Centre (Go Yong).

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Workers' Compensation Insurance is run by the Korea Workers' Compensation and Welfare Service. All workplaces with at least one full-time worker are subject to mandatory coverage. The self-employed can also apply. However, like other insurance cover in Korea, there are special provisions and exemptions. This insurance covers medical care and permanent disability benefits for work-related injuries or diseases.

Generally, employers process any insurance application on behalf of their employees.