Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Spain
Information about the consular services available and the embassies present for citizens from the UK, USA, Canada and Australia in Spain...
Citizens of the USA, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia living in Spain are particularly well catered to by their consular sections of the embassies and other organisations. If you are from one of those four, you will find a wealth of up-to-date and officially published information from the links below.
The Embassy and Consulate's office offer a variety of services to the approximately 80,000 Americans living in Spain and the 1,000,000 American tourists who pass through the country on average each year.
Included in the services offered are:
- Issue of emergency passports
- Handling of passport applications
- Legal assistance
- Election and voting information
- Registration of a birth or death of a US citizen in Spain
- Medical care rights
- Criminal rights, if a citizen is in trouble with the Spanish law
- General assistance for any US citizen who is having problems in Spain
The American Embassy is located at:
- American Embassy
At: Calle Serrano 75, 28006 Madrid
Open: Embassy "walk-in" hours 08:00-13:00
For help and advice call between 15:00 and 17:30. Tel: 915 872 240
Emergencies: A duty officer is available for out of hours emergencies. Tel: 915 872 200
Note: These numbers are not for visa inquiries. For these services an appointment is needed which can be made via the website.
- There is also a Consulate General in Barcelona.
At: Paseo Reina Elisenda de Montcada, 23 08034 Barcelona
Open: Monday - Friday from 09.00 to 13.00, except for local and U.S. holidays
Tel: 932 802 227
A full list of US consulates in Spain is available from the American Embassy
There are several British Consular offices serving British citizens in Spain.
The following services are provided by a Consular office:
- All births and deaths of British citizens in either Spain or Andorra must be reported to the Consulate in Madrid
- Notary service, with authorisation to legalise a document
- Help and advice in an emergency situation concerning a British citizen in Spain
- Advice on moving to and living in Spain
- British Embassy
At: Torre Espacio, Paseo de la Castellana 259D, 28046 Madrid
Tel: 917 146 300
Fax: 917 146 403
- Duty office emergency Tel: 902 109 356 - Consulate number for details on how to proceed in case of an emergency
The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.
UK passports are not issued by the UK Embassy in Madrid. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK at the following address:
- Her Majesty's Passport Office
101 Old Hall Street
Find out how to apply for a UK passport while overseas
The Embassy of Ireland in Spain offers services to Irish citizens, including the issuance of passports and documents related to citizenship, birth and marriage. The Embassy also certifies documents and provides assistance in the event of the loss or theft of passports. It will also provide assistance in the event of an accident, robbery or death involving an Irish national.
- Embassy of Ireland
At: Ireland House, Paseo de la Castellana 46-4, 28046 Madrid
Tel: 914 364 093
Fax: 914 351 677
There are about 2,000 Australian citizens living in Spain (many of them with dual citizenship) and over 90,000 Australians who visit Spain each year. The Australian Embassy (and its Consular office) is in Madrid. There are Honorary Consuls in Barcelona and Seville. The services provided by the Consular offices include the handling of visa enquiries, replacement of lost, stolen or damaged passports and providing general support for Australians in Spain.
- Australian Embassy (Embajada de Australia en el Reino de España)
At: Direccion de la Embajada: Planta 24, Torre Espacio, Paseo de la Castellana 259D, 28046, Madrid
Tel: 913 536 692
Open: Monday to Friday 08:30-16:30
The Consular offices of the Canadian Embassy in Spain offers information about Spain, and assistance to Canadian citizens either visiting or living in Spain. Information available includes the following subjects:
- Lost or stolen credit cards or travellers' cheques
- Transfer of funds
- Marriage formalities
- Legalisation (endorsement) of Canadian documents and educational documents
- Information on entry, work and residence requirements
- Driving in Spain
The Canadian Embassy and Consular office are located in Madrid:
- Canadian Embassy
At: Torre Espacio, Paseo de la Castellana 259 D, 28046 Madrid
Tel: 91 382 8400
- Fax: 913 828 490
- Email email@example.com
Open: September to July: Monday to Thursday 08:30-14:00 and 15:00-17:30, Friday 08:30-14:30
August: Monday to Friday 08:30-14:15
For after hours emergencies contact the Ottawa office:
Tel: 810 800 201 41012