Children With Special Needs

Understand what kind of assistance is available for children with special needs in the Spanish school system...

From primary school onwards, children experiencing learning difficulties may be able to get special assistance, either from specialist teachers in the school or specialists outside of the school, though not all schools are adapted to help children who need assistance. The Spanish government requires Spanish schools to attempt to educate special-needs children within mainstream schools if the facilities exist and schools are awarded grants if they have integration teachers (PT), speech therapists (Logopedia) and other specialists on the staff. English-language assistance is very uncommon and can be very difficult to find.

If a pupil has been assessed and been found to be in need of assistance, the child and parent may be sent to a Center for Special Needs (Centro de Valoración y Orientación de Discapacitados). At the centre, the child undergoes a variety of tests with a doctor and a social worker to determine the child's level of need. Once the tests are complete, the professionals evaluate the child and discuss results with the parent.

If a child is determined to have learning deficiencies of 33 percent or more then they are classified disabled. A grant will be given for treatment (including speech therapy, physiotherapy and other specialist assistance), help in school or placement in a special-needs school if the child's mainstream school is unable to provide the education required.

Re-assessments are made every few years to determine if the child is in need of additional (or less) assistance.

  • For further information from the European Agency for Development in Special Needs Education: Click here