English-language Media in Switzerland
Information on the English-language radio (FM and Internet), television, magazines and newspapers available to anglophones in Switzerland...
BBC World Service can be listened to online or received on digital FM 90.2 and some satellite channels.
- For more information on receiving BBC World Service via satellite
The main BBC stations and other English-language radio can also be received via many satellite TV installations or over the Internet. Previously broadcast programmes can often be listened to again or downloaded.
Voice of America is also available on the internet via their website.
Radio on the Internet
Increasingly, radio stations are "streaming" their broadcasts on the Internet. You typically need RealPlayer although sometimes a feed is available in Windows Media format, compatible with the players that have shipped with recent versions of Windows and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Directory of over 13,000 radio stations: Streema Online Radio Stations
Alternatively, select one of the stations below for (relatively) instant access to live radio!
It is possible to access UK-based free-to-air (FTA) programming on the same satellite that broadcasts Sky Digital. Please note, however, that there is no legal way to access encrypted programming on that satellite while in Switzerland or France (such as Sky Digital's premium channels accessible only through a Sky subscription package, or those channels that may only be watched in the UK using a satellite receiver with a free-to-view - FTV - card installed).
The SSG/SSR is the Swiss national public broadcaster. It provides two French-language TV channels, two Italian, three German and one channel in Romansch. These language channels are regional, available locally on terrestrial television but nationally on cable and DTH.
Radio Télévision Suisse (RTS) is part of the SRG/SSR network serves the French speaking Swiss population. English-language programmes are available. Look for the sign "VO" (version originale, which means broadcast in the original language) in the listing or select from the Bicanal option.
The Swiss Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM) has a full list of the licensed television and radio broadcasters operating in Switzerland.
Swisscom Blue TV service broadcasts some UK TV channels (BBC, ITV, Film4 and others).
It is obligatory to pay television licence fees in Switzerland.
- For more on the television licence fee
Most major publications are available online as well as in print. For a more portable digital version, apps up allow the latest news to be read on a phone or tablet, often for a much less than the cost of a subscription.
- Swiss Info: News and information about living in Switzerland
- The Local: Switzerland's news and event in English
- Inside Switzerland Magazine: English-language culture and lifestyle magazine featuring Swiss life, fashion, design and events. Published quarterly and available by subscription or at OfftheShelf bookshop in Geneva
- Mothering Matters: Parenting journal that has been informing English-speaking families since 1994. Local excursion ideas, a family health column, craft activities, recipes, parenting tips and more appear online. Subscribe to the journal through the homepage or follow it via Facebook
- New Stork Times: Published 10 times annually, this magazine provides information on parenthood for English speaking parents in Switzerland. Available by subscription
- GenevaLunch: Online Lake Geneva, Swiss and local community news
- Swissinfo.ch: Swiss news and information online, available in nine languages
International News Links
International English-language newspapers are available at many newsstands, usually on the day following publication.
Most of the major international press is available online:
- The Belfast Telegraph
- The Daily Express
- The Daily/Sunday Telegraph
- The Financial Times
- The Guardian
- The Independent
- The Mirror
- The Scotsman
- The Sun
- The Times
- The Chicago Sun-Times
- The Los Angeles Times
- The New York Times
- The New York Post
- The San Fransisco Chronicle
- The San Fransisco Examiner
- The Seattle Times
- USA Today
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- Business Day
- Netwerk24 Die Burger (in Afrikaans)
- Independent Newspapers (The Star, The Cape Argus, etc.)
- The Weekly Mail & Guardian