Vehicles and Driving

What to do about changing your driving licence and licence plates...

Foreign licence plates may be kept on a car in Switzerland for one year provided that proper liability insurance is maintained on the car. After this period, Swiss plates must be obtained from the cantonal road traffic office (Strassenverkehrsamt/Service des Automobiles).

Anyone intending to take a Swiss registered vehicle with them when leaving the country should let the local office know.

Foreign residents have one year to change their driving licence to a Swiss one or to take a Swiss driving test. If issued with a Swiss licence, notify the nearest road traffic office (Strassenverkehrsamt/Service des Automobiles) before leaving.