Residency Permits in Switzerland

Information on residency in Switzerland: how to ensure you have the right documents in place to legally reside (and work) in Switzerland...

A foreigner entering Switzerland must carry an appropriate travel document. Citizens of the EU (European Union) or EFTA (European Free Trade Association) may enter with a valid passport or photo ID. Some non-EU nationals may enter with a valid passport only; others may require a visa. No residency permits are required for a visit up to but no more than three months (90 days).

Switzerland is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement and therefore part of the Schengen area. Schengen visas are issued for up to three months and accepted for entry to Switzerland.

  • For more information on visa requirements in Switzerland: Click here

The Federal Office for Migration (FOM) provides comprehensive information in English relevant to all people entering Switzerland to visit, to stay, to work or seek asylum.