Health Care and Social Security

What to do about transferring your medical records and insurance when leaving Switzerland...

Any private health insurance cover which has been in force may need changing or cancelling. Ensure that health insurance remains valid until arrival in the new country of residence or continues as appropriate.

Anyone who has received medical care in Switzerland should ask for their records to be forwarded to their new practitioner.

Because the Swiss social security system is decentralised, anyone who has been working and paying contributions as well as anyone who has been receiving benefits of any kind needs to contact their local office of the relevant organisation or insurer.

In some cases, refunds of contributions paid into schemes (including pensions/AVS) are possible, but the insurer will need to see proof of de-registration.