Importing and Registering a Foreign Vehicle

The information you need if importing a new or used car or motorcycle to Switzerland. Where to get the certificate of conformity, where to take the vehicle and how to get a UK or mainland EU or US car onto Swiss plates...

Swiss customs officials must be informed as soon as a vehicle being imported arrives in the country. Customs will provide a form to be completed and shown along with the following documents:

  • Driver's licence
  • Proof of identity
  • Invoice/receipt of purchase of the car
  • Proof of vehicle's origin

Tax and import duty will be charged; the amount due will depend on how long the owner has had the car.

Customs will inform the Road Traffic Office (Strassenverkehrsamt/Service des Automobiles et de la Navigation), who will send the forms required to apply for Swiss licence plates.