English-language Media in Switzerland
Information on the English-language radio (FM and Internet), television, magazines and newspapers available to anglophones in Switzerland...
BBC World Service can be received on digital FM 90.2 and Satellite Hot Bird 6-13º East.
- For more information on receiving BBC World Service via satellite: Click here
The main BBC stations and other English-language radio can also be received via many satellite TV installations or over the Internet. Previously broadcast programmes can often be listened to again or downloaded.
Radio on the Internet
Increasingly, radio stations are "streaming" their broadcasts on the Internet. You typically need RealPlayer although sometimes a feed is available in Windows Media format, compatible with the players that have shipped with recent versions of Windows and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- For a fairly comprehensive list of the many stations who provide this service: Click here
- Directory of over 13,000 radio stations: Streema Online Radio Stations
Alternatively, select one of the stations below for (relatively) instant access to live radio!
- BBC World Service
- Voice of America's NewsNow
- BBC Radio 1
- BBC Radio 2
- BBC Radio 3
- BBC Radio 4
- BBC Radio 5
It is possible to access UK-based free-to-air (FTA) programming on the same satellite that broadcasts Sky Digital. Please note, however, that there is no legal way to access encrypted programming on that satellite while in Switzerland or France (such as Sky Digital's premium channels accessible only through a Sky subscription package, or those channels that may only be watched in the UK using a satellite receiver with a free-to-view - FTV - card installed).
The SSG/SSR is the Swiss national public broadcaster. It provides two French-language TV channels, two Italian, three German and one channel in Romansch. These language channels are regional, available locally on terrestrial television but nationally on cable and DTH.
Télévision Suisse Romande is based in Geneva, with offices across the country and serves the French speaking Swiss population. English-language programmes are available. Look for the sign "VO" (version originale, which means broadcast in the original language) in the listing or select from the Bicanal option.
The Swiss Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM) has a full list of the licensed television and radio broadcasters operating in Switzerland.
It is obligatory to pay television licence fees in Switzerland.
English-language Print Publications
Most major publications are available online as well as in print. For a more portable digital version, apps like the Mail Plus App from the UK's Daily Mail Group allow the latest news to be read on a phone or tablet, often for a much less than the cost of a subscription.
- Geneva Times: Independent, general-information, magazine for English speakers in the Swiss Romand. Bimonthly, online and in print, the GT covers political, social and cultural news and events of interest to the local expatriate community. Available in shopping centres, English bookshops and Naville newsstands
- Swiss News: National English-language newspaper focusing on Swiss news and events from an expatriate's perspective. Published monthly and available at most newsstands and from English bookshop Off The Shelf at 15 boulevard Georges Favon, Geneva
- Swiss Style: Magazine providing information on services, products and events for the anglophone population in Switzerland
- Inside Switzerland Magazine: English-language culture and lifestyle magazine featuring Swiss life, fashion, design and events. Published quarterly and available by subscription or at OfftheShelf bookshop in Geneva
- Mothering Matters: Parenting journal that has been informing English-speaking families since 1994. Local excursion ideas, a family health column, craft activities, recipes, parenting tips and more appear online. Subscribe to the journal through the homepage or follow it via Facebook
- New Stork Times: Published 10 times annually, this magazine provides information on parenthood for English speaking parents in Switzerland. Available by subscription
- GenevaLunch: Online Lake Geneva, Swiss and local community news
- Swissinfo.ch: Swiss news and information online, available in nine languages
International News Links
International English-language newspapers are available at many newsstands, usually on the day following publication.
Most of the major international press is available online:
- The Belfast Telegraph
- The Daily Express
- The Daily/Sunday Telegraph
- The Financial Times
- The Guardian
- The Independent
- The Mirror
- The Scotsman
- The Sun
- The Times
- And many more, listed here
- The Chicago Sun-Times
- The Los Angeles Times
- The New York Times
- The New York Post
- The San Fransisco Chronicle
- The San Fransisco Examiner
- The Seattle Times
- USA Today
- The Wall Street Journal
- The Washington Post
- And many more, listed here.
- Business Day
- Die Burger (in Afrikaans)
- Independent Newspapers (The Star, The Cape Argus, etc.)
- The Weekly Mail & Guardian