English-language Media in Taiwan
Information about the local and international English-language print and broadcast media that is available in Taiwan...
There are many options for those seeking English-speaking radio and television channels, as well as print publications, when living in Taiwan.
Most major publications are available online as well as in print. For a more portable digital version, apps like the Mail Plus App from the UK's Daily Mail Group allow the latest news to be read on a phone or tablet, often for much less than the cost of a subscription.
- Taipei Times: Daily newspaper with local and international news, sport, editorials and business news. It also features a bilingual section
- The China Post: Daily newspaper with online version covering news from Taiwan, politics, business and information for visitors
- Taiwan News: Online news from Taiwan and around the world
Radio Taiwan International (CBS-RTI): National radio station broadcasting news and Chinese programmes in 13 languages. Programmes cover domestic and international issues as well as Chinese lessons, culture, music and Taiwanese history.
- For information on English services and frequencies: Click here
International Community Radio Taipei (ICRT): English-language only station with BBC news programmes and local community news and events. The weekend programmes cover lifestyle news and the weekly top 40 ranking. (Taipei FM100.7)
The main BBC stations and other English-language radio can also be received via many satellite TV installations or over the Internet. Previously broadcast programmes can often be listened to again or downloaded.
Radio on the Internet
Many international radio stations are available streamed live on the Internet.
- BBC Radio
- National Public Radio (NPR)
- Voice of America
- For a fairly comprehensive list of the many stations streaming live on the Internet: Click here
- For a directory of over 13,000 radio stations: Streema Online Radio Stations
Cable television with English-language programmes is readily available throughout Taiwan and subscriptions are relatively cheap.
See the section on Television in Taiwan for more information.