Permanent Residency in Taiwan
Find out the eligibility requirements for permanent residency in Taiwan and how to get an<strong> Alien Permanent Resident Certificate</strong>...
Individuals who are at least 20 years old, who have been in Taiwan for the required length of time and who meet all the requirements needed for permanent residency, can apply for an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC). Anyone who already holds citizenship of the People’s Republic of China may not apply.
To apply for an APRC, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Have lived in Taiwan for five years and have been in the country for at least 183 days each year. Time spent in the country as a student is excluded
- The spouse or children of a national must have valid household registration in Taiwan and have been in the ROC legally for ten years. The applicant must have been in Taiwan for at least 183 days a year for a minimum of five years
An APRC entitles the holder to an Open Work Permit which allows them to change job or profession freely and to have more than one job.
Applying for Residency
An application for an APRC must be made within two years of meeting the requirements for length of stay in Taiwan.
- To download the Application Procedure for an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate from the National Immigration Agency: Click here (PDF)
An application form must be completed and submitted to a National Immigration Agency service centre with the following documents:
- A colour photograph of standard passport size
- Originals and a copy of all passports (current and previous)
- An Alien Resident Card (ARC) and one copy of it
- A health examination certificate issued by the Department of Health of the Executive Yuan
- Certificate of Entry and Exit
- Certificates stating financial assets or any special skills or talents
- Criminal record certificates for the previous five years from the governments of the ROC (no more than three months old) and the applicant’s home country (issued within the previous six months). Chinese translations are needed
- Related certificates, for example: marriage certificate, work permit, household certificate, proof of employment
An application form can be downloaded from the National Immigration Agency Website.
- To download an application form: Click here (PDF)
An applicant for an APRC who is not married to a citizen of the ROC must also meet one of the following conditions:
- Have earned, during the preceding year, an average monthly income that is twice the monthly minimum wage as stated by the Council of Labor Affairs
- Own property in Taiwan with a certain value
- Be the holder of a certificate issued by the ROC government stating that they are a technician, professional or have passed a technical exam
- Any other conditions given by the National Immigration Agency
Applications usually take about two weeks to be processed. Once an APRC is issued, the holder loses their eligibility for permanent residency if they are not in the country for at least 183 days every year.
- For further information about how to apply for an APRC: Click here