Exchanging a Foreign Driving Licence

Information on who can exchange their driving licence for a Taiwan one, and the steps to follow if you have to exchange your licence...

People intending to live and drive in Taiwan long-term should convert their foreign licence into a Taiwanese (ROC) licence. They will need to have their home licence certified. This can be done in a person's home country at a Taiwanese embassy, consulate, Taiwanese Economic and Cultural Office (these function as de-facto consulates), or at a foreign embassy in Taiwan.

Anyone applying to exchange a foreign or international driving licence for a Taiwanese a person must be at least 18 years old. They must also be the holder of a residency permit which is valid for at least one year. An application should be submitted within one year of arriving in the country.

Applications to exchange a licence should be made at a local Motor Vehicles Office.

In other towns, contact details for the nearest office can be found by asking at a local police station.

Individuals whose home country has a reciprocal licencing agreement with Taiwan need only fill in a form and provide the required supporting documents to exchange their licence; others will need to sit a written test and take a driving examination. Drivers should consult their embassy or representative office in Taiwan to find out if their country has a reciprocal agreement with Taiwan.

Applicants also need to pass a health test. The physical examination takes place at a hospital or health centre appointed by the local motor vehicle authorities. The Motor Vehicle Office can provide a list of authorised health centres. It is possible to sit the health exam at some Motor Vehicle Offices.


The following documents are needed to support an application to exchange a licence:

  • A completed driving licence registration form and health report issued from an approved hospital or clinic
  • An Alien Resident Certificate
  • Three identical passport style photos taken within the previous six months
  • The original and one photocopy of the applicant's passport
  • The original and one photocopy of all parts of the foreign or international licence. The licence must be authenticated either in Taiwan by the consulate or representative office authorised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or in the licence holder's home country by the Taiwan consulate or representative office

Individuals whose home licence requires them to sit a driving test to convert to a Chinese one need to submit the above documents when applying to sit their driving test. Applications should be submitted at the local motor vehicle authority. A driving licence is awarded when both the practical and written tests have been passed.

Further Information