Non-Immigrant Visas

Find out about the types of non-immigrant visas, how to make the application and the documentation required...

Anyone wishing to stay in Thailand for more than two months must apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa. Either a one-year multi-entry visa with a maximum 90-day stay is issued or a single entry 90-day visa. For those wishing to travel outside of Thailand during their stay a multi-entry visa must be obtained. The visa indicates the dates between which the holder can apply to enter Thailand and does not necessarily show the length of time the holder will be granted "permission to stay". This is shown by the stamp in the holder's passport on arrival.

It is possible to apply for an "extension of stay" after 90 days from within Thailand, although the rules are different for each type of visa. Requirements for an extension vary; for a retirement visa it is normally a straightforward process, but a business visa has more strenuous rules. Contact the Immigration Bureau for exact details.

If an "extension of stay" is granted, the visitors should register their address with immigration every 90 days. Failure to do this can result in a fine of 200 baht/day up to a maximum of 5,000 baht. It should be possible to register by post although check with the local immigration bureau.

  • The appropriate form (For Alien to Notify of Staying Longer Than 90 Days: Form TM.47) can be downloaded from the Immigration bureau website 

If an "extension of stay" is not possible, a "visa run" will need to be completed by anyone wishing to stay longer than 90 days. Those who do not have a multi-entry visa, must obtain a re-entry permit at the airport or at the Immigration Bureau before leaving the country, otherwise the Non-Immigrant visa will not be valid on their return to Thailand.

Types of Non-Immigrant Visas

Those who can apply for Non-Immigrant Visas include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand
  • Foreigners who wish to invest in Thailand
  • Family of the people in the above categories
  • Foreigners married to Thai nationals or with relatives who are Thai nationals
  • Foreigners who wish to spend their retirement in Thailand

If intending to travel in and out of Thailand during the validity of the visa it will be necessary to get a multi-entry visa.

Non-Immigrant O (Other) Visa

This allows visitors to visit for a number of reasons

  • Visiting Thai spouse or family (Copy of marriage certificate required)
  • To look for work
  • Voluntary work
  • Visiting non-Thai family members
  • For the purpose of retirement (Type "O-A", see below)
  • For further information and for a list of required documents see the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website

Non-Immigrant B (Business) Visa

This is a business or paid employment visa for those employed by any company in Thailand. It is necessary to file an application with a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand. It is also necessary for anyone wishing to teach in Thailand to get this type of visa although the requirements are slightly different. A letter from the company will be required before this visa is issued.

Non-Immigrant IB (Investment & Business) Visa

Foreign employees working on a project that has been approved by the Board of Investment (BOI) must have this type of visa.

Non-Immigrant ED (Education-Unpaid Work) Visa

This type of visa is granted to those who would like to study in Thailand, to attend a conference, for training or to study as a Buddhist monk. An acceptance letter from the educational establishment or training establishment is required.

Thailand Immigration Services hotline

Tel: 1178 or 1111


One Stop Service Center

The One Stop Service Center is available for use by certain applicants. It is possible to be granted visa extensions and work permits in one day, at one location.