Retirement Visa - Non-Immigrant O-A Type

Information on the visa requirements for the over 50s and other types of non-immigrant visas in Thailand...

Any person who is 50 years old or more can apply for a Non-Immigrant O-A visa before arrival in Thailand. It will be valid for one year. On arrival in Thailand retirement status must be applied for at the local Immigration Bureau. Once retirement status is granted it can be extended on a yearly basis as long as adequate financial funds are still available. Those in Thailand with retirement status must not work in any capacity.

The requirements for a non-immigrant O-A visa and retirement status are subject to change so it is advisable to check with the home Embassy or Consulate. Applicants must:

  • Demonstrate an annual income of at least THB 800,000, or THB 65,000 a month
  • For those without an income/pension, THB 800,000 must be deposited in a bank account

On arrival in Thailand, the person must visit their home Embassy and prove their financial status. The Embassy will issue a certificate that can be shown to the Thai Immigration Bureau.

In order to apply the applicant must:

  • Be 50 years of age or older when applying for the visa
  • Have a clean criminal record both in Thailand or country of origin
  • Have a Non-Immigrant visa issued from the home country
  • Hold a medical certificate indicating good health and free from disease

Documents required

  • Passport with at least 18 months validity
  • Three copies of the visa application forms
  • Three passport-size photographs not more than six months old
  • Personal information sheet
  • Financial certificate
  • Clean criminal record certificate (not older than three months) from the applicant's home country or Embassy
  • Medical certificate (not older than three months)

Spouse of the retired person

The applicant's spouse needs to apply for their own retirement visa and status. The financial (and other) requirements are the same and all funds must be completely separate from their spouse. If this is not possible it will be necessary to apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa and leave the country every 90 days.

Other Types of Non-Immigrant Visa

  • D: Diplomatic Visa
  • BA: Business visa for approved companies
  • M: Media visa for journalists or film crews
  • EX: Expert visa for those doing work of a specialist nature
  • IM: Investors visa
  • F: For officials working with the Thai government
  • R: For missionaries or those wishing to complete religious studies
  • RS: For those who conduct scientific research

Visas for Thailand

For further information on visas for visiting or long-term stays in Thailand contact the local Consulate or Embassy in the home country.

Further Information