Vehicle Insurance in Thailand

General information on the types of Thai vehicle insurance available, including what the cover provides and how to insure a foreign car in Thailand...

It is a legal requirement in Thailand for cars to have Compulsory Motor Insurance (CMI or Por Ror Bor). This insurance is required by law with a set premium and cover rates. It only covers third parties and passengers. CMI can be bought from the local Department of Land Transport Office (DLT), from car insurance companies, and from some car dealerships. The only document required is the car registration document (Blue Book or Lem Tabian).

Additional Car Insurance

A range of private insurance companies offer coverage greater than the CMI. Most will offer a variation on the three levels of insurance cover listed below. Cover will vary from company to company, so check all of the policy details before signing.
  • First class insurance: Also known as fully comprehensive insurance: covers the vehicle, the life of the driver and any costs associated with injury to driver or passengers.  Also covers third party property damage and liability
  • Second class insurance: Also known as collision coverage, and will cover repairs to any vehicles involved in an accident
  • Third class insurance: Covers the life of the driver, costs of injury to the driver and passenger, and third party property damage and liability
Thai insurance companies have a no-claims bonus structure on certain policies that will provide significant discounts after a year with no claims on the insurance. Some companies even permit small claims to be made without voiding the no-claims bonus. Note: It is very important to know and understand an insurance company's accident procedures, particularly those pertaining to the scene of the accident itself. Find these out when taking out the insurance.

Insuring a Foreign Car

Owners of foreign vehicles travelling into Thailand should check that their car insurance policy provides coverage before arriving. Thai insurance companies will not cover foreign vehicles comprehensively, but third class Insurance is available and highly recommended. This can usually be purchased near border crossings into the country.

Using Insurance Brokers

Unless you speak Thai, arranging insurance can be difficult, so many new residents use the services of a broker. It is strongly recommended to ask a broker for their license number before doing business with them. Unlicensed brokers are common and if disputes arise it can be difficult to lodge a claim against them.  Tip supplied by Mr. Urs Zimmerman of EuropAsia Insurance.